Sixteen

Later that evening

Later that evening. The three of them settled down to watch a movie. Whilst Jaxon was a guest in their home, Rayne insisted on him choosing what they watched. Nathan groaned. He and his brother rarely shared the same taste in films.

Jaxon flitted through their raft of films available. "Classic, I love this one—Shawshank Redemption?"

"I love that film too!" gushed Rayne, smiling up at Jaxon as she cuddled up next to Nathan who instinctively tucked her under his arm, kissing the top of her head.

"I'm easy." Nathan absently replied.

Jaxon's attention navigated between the film and watching his brother with Rayne. Craving the closeness they shared, the day's events shadowed his mind. The powerful urge to kiss her, had his jaw clenching and his thighs tensing. Should I have kissed her earlier, when I had the chance? Regret wasn't something he associated with. It twisted into something darker within. He had wanted to kiss—hell, he had wanted to do a lot more.

Was his brother playing some sick game with him? Taunting him? Did he blame him for what had happened with Nicole? He knew for a fact that Nate hadn't told Rayne anything about their previous lovers or that they had both considered settling down and starting a family together with Nicole.

Whispering caught his attention, drawing his gaze to them as Rayne snuggled against Nathan.

That was it, he'd had enough for one day. He pushed from his chair onto his feet. "I'm gonna head up."

Rayne sat up. "Everything okay, Jaxon?"

He nodded and faked a yawn. "Yeah, just all the ocean air has me beat—it's been a while. "See you both in the morning." His eyes lingered on Rayne for a few moments longer, and for brief moment he thought he saw the same desire in her eyes that he harboured for her.

"Goodnight Jaxon," they both replied in union.

Rayne cuddled back into the warmth of Nathan's arms, his broad chest pressed securely against her back. As the film ended, Rayne blinked as the credit rolled onto the screen, having been lost in thought, searching for the words, the moment where she could speak to Nathan. As the minutes passed, her throat dried and her stomach tightened. Counting wasn't helping, she pondered excusing herself so she could find some relief in distraction, distraction she knew which would bring her both shame and relief in equal measure.

Nathan's focus had been on Rayne, sensing her anguish, the stiffness in her shoulders, the rubbing of her hand against the fabric of her black leggings she wore.

He would need to push this along. "Do you want to watch anything else, sweetheart—or is something on your mind?"

Rayne counted, her heartbeat sped up. She would need to get it out—this thing devouring her, crawling, scratching at her insides... Filth.