Thirty-Five

A/N - My apologies, I've not had a chance to read through the following update

A/N - My apologies, I've not had a chance to read through the following update.  I lost a close family member a few days ago and my head's been all over the place.  For those who read my other stories - apologies again as I will not be updating them this week as they are only 70% finished.  Thanks, Chrissy x 

~ ~ ~ ~

Jaxon found Nathan in the kitchen preparing breakfast for Rayne. "Hey." He looked around. "Rayne in the bedroom?"

Nathan turned and flicked up his chin. "Yes, no change." For the past week, Rayne had not left their bedroom, only getting up to go to the bathroom and eat very little of the food that he and Jaxon had prepared.

Jaxon nodded. "Has she mentioned me?"

Nathan stopped chopping. "No."

Jaxon scrubbed his hand through his hair. "I can't stand this, Nate, it's killing me. I want to go back and kill the bastard and her fucking mother."

Nathan finished preparing the platter of fresh fruit and pastries that he hoped would tempt her to each more than a mere morsel. "You heard what De-Luca said. She needs time. Her past has collided with her present." He lifted the platter. "We have to be patient. She's hurting, but I know she will come back to us. We haven't lost her."

The good doctor had visited Rayne every day—a deep sense of guilt, and being partly responsible for allowing her file to drop into the hands of someone so cruel and malicious. In his own mind, he couldn't align Nicole with her actions. Or had he just been desperate to connect with someone... anyone, since losing his wife?

Jaxon wanted to punch him, too. But at least he was trying to make up for his fuck up, and wasn't he just as much to blame for her pushing him away? "She won't even look at me, Nate." If he could step back in time. He would tear up the file he found in Nicole's apartment - not read a single word.

He would never forget the look of anguish on her face... her eyes filling with unshed tears as she learned of his betrayal of her trust... he knew everything. Every sordid detail laid out bare. Her sin. Her guilt. Her shame.

Arriving home, she had withdrawn from him, refusing point blank to let him touch her... be near her.   "I don't think she'll ever trust me again." Jaxon pulled out a chair and slumped down.   He'd hated moving out from their bedroom, sleeping in his own apartment, until she was ready to talk to him.

Nathan placed the platter in front of Jaxon and rested a hand on his brother's shoulder. "She'll forgive you, Jax. She loves you. It's just going to—"

"—Time. I know."

Nathan picked up the platter. "I have to go in and see her. It's my first day back at work. You need to be here just in case she needs you."

"I'm not going anywhere."

Nathan stepped into the bedroom to find Rayne curled up in bed. She looked so small and fragile, reminding him of the time when they first met. Walking around the bed, he placed the platter down and gently pushed her hair behind her ear. "Sweetheart?"