Twenty-Four

The weekend and the following week passed without incident

The weekend and the following week passed without incident. Each day brought a new familiarity for Rayne and although she and Jaxon didn't spend any time alone, their closeness blossomed as the days marched on.

Enjoying their newfound status quo. Rayne would have happily lived in their little New Hampton bubble, without interference from the outside world. But as with life, change was never far away and as she sat on the twenty-eight floor of Knight Industries, in her very own office, curtesy of Nathan, she took in the view, having completed all her assigned tasks from Mrs Freeman.

Mrs Freeman replaced the awful Ms Spruce as Knight's Senior Forensic Accountant and Nathan had made sure he sat in the on the interview. Rayne warmed to Mrs Freeman from the moment Nathan introduced them, and like dear Mr Jenkins, she was kind, patient and considerate of Rayne's oddities.

Rayne knocked on Mrs Freeman's door before entering.

"Ah, Rayne."

"Hello Mrs Freeman."

"Please Rayne, how many times... it's Valerie."

Rayne smiled brightly. "Valerie."

"Good, now what can I do for you?"

"I've completed all those tasks you assigned to my inbox and I've contacted the Research Department but unfortunately they haven't been able to run off their monthly reports, which leaves me at a loose end."

"I forget how efficient you are, my dear. Well, I have a meeting to attend, but you can busy yourself as you see fit, or perhaps Mr Knight has something for you to attend to?" Mrs Freeman was well aware of their relationship.

Returning to her own office, Rayne quickly checked Nathan's diary to find he would be available if she popped up to visit.

Humming whilst climbing the semi-darkened stairwell to the thirty-eighth floor, she pondered on their coming days in the city, during which her birthday would fall.

Nathan had insisted they spend time here as he had business matters which required his attention.

Rayne liked the city and his apartment had beautiful views of the park and although he had stated frequently, it was now their apartment, Rayne never settled. For one, Nathan had a room that was locked, and he'd requested that she not enter.

Strange as it was, she respected his wishes but often wondered how he could claim it was their apartment, but then deny her entry into one of its rooms.

Arriving at the intended floor. She walked along the plush corridors. Approaching two members of staff, she stepped to the side to allow the executive PA's passage. They barely gave her a second glance. Occasionally one may smile, but more often than not she remained invisible.

Suzanne, Nathan's Personal Assistant was quite the opposite. Friendly and tactile, often drawing Rayne in for a hug and insisting they sit and chat. Yes, it was fair to say Suzanne was Rayne's first and only female friend, as throughout Rayne's younger years not being like the other girls often meant they cast aside, ignored her and occasionally tormented for being peculiar.