Thirty-Two

"M-Marcus

"M-Marcus." Rayne intuitively stepped back. The man before her, although family was effectively now a stranger. No longer the boy she remembered, but now a man of formidable size and for the first time in a very long time a curious self-preserving instinct awakened. The man stood before her could hurt in not only an emotional sense, but a physical one too. It unnerved her.

"Oh, I simply adore family reunions." Nicole reached around Rayne holding the phone in front of her face to grant her access. "Thank you."

Rayne blinked and turned, reaching out to grab her phone.

"Ah, ah, ah! I'm sending a message to your loved ones." She smirked.

Rayne caught her breath, sure she saw the devil himself in those icy blues staring back. "No. They can't find out this way." She stifled a sob. "Please—why are you doing this?"

"Why? You honestly need to ask?" She scowled. "It's simple. You took something from me and I'm now returning the favour."

A hand settled on Rayne's shoulder, having fleetingly forgotten Marcus was standing behind her. She turned to face him. "You can't be here. Leave. Right now!"

"I can't leave Sunshine, not until you hear me out." He stepped forward and scooped her into his arms.

Rayne stiffened. This was wrong.

"My oh my... don't you two make a cute couple." Nicole jested.

Rayne wriggled free, pushing him away. "No, Marcus."

Nicole pressed the send button before powering down Rayne's phone, popping it into her bag. "I expect you to keep to your word, Mr Winters."

He didn't look at Nicole; she was of no interest as his gaze remained on his sister.

Nicole sighed. "It's true what they say—three really is a crowd, so I will take my leave." Flicking her hair from her shoulder, she reached for her Gucci sunglasses and left Rayne alone with her estranged brother.

The disquiet thrumming through her veins was palpable, but she forced herself to stand a little taller. She was not the girl he remembered.

Marcus shifted uncomfortably on enormous booted feet. "Do you want to sit?" Motioning to the bench beside them.

Rayne didn't move, meet his gaze, or answer his question. "If you say you're here to talk. Then talk."

He smiled as his eyes swept over her petite form. "You look even more beautiful than I remember." Rayne visibly recoiled. "I've missed you so much, Sunshine." He stepped closer lifting loose hair from her shoulder. "I'd forgotten how silky."

Rayne swatted his hand away. "Don't call me that. I don't like it."

His eyes lowered. "Have you not missed me?"