Escape

I can't believe it. (Squeal.) Over 1K reads? Seriously? Wow. Thank you so so soooo much.

-^- 

E. 062144-*

 062144-*

 Experiment 062144 hummed herself a tune as she faced a large, dark wall, something that her mother had sang to her whenever she woke up from nightmares. Nightmares of Nazis burning her home. It always comforted her, and made her feel at home, warm and toasted in front of a roaring camp fire in an autumn night.

 She had nearly forgotten it, but today, the tense atmosphere that she was always used to feel was gone, replaced with something more...friendly. Friendly enough to let herself feel happy.

 "What's that?"

 Croaked a man behind her, his matted brown hair shadowing his pale face. His eyes twinkled with curiosity, and the girl smiled.

 "It's something Mummy used to sing to me,"

 She whispered, as she picked up a small white pebble and drew a figure on the dark damp wall of the cell. The white jagged lines formed the figure of a stick woman, with a smiley face and long wavy hair, and the screeching pebble began to draw a small girl beside it as well.

 The man stayed silent, as 062144 continued to draw a tall man beside the girl, a happy grin plastered like his wife. The girl stood up from her seat, and took a few steps backwards to evaluate her drawing. The white scribbles were a stark contrast to the dark, black walls, and the three figures looked lonely and cold, a creepy bliss of light in a world of darkness and torture.

 The girl turned to James who was sitting in a corner behind her, and sent him a toothy grin.

 "They look happy, don't they?"

 The man stared at the small girl, and then gazed back at the family on the wall.

 ".....Yeah,"

 He answered. "They do."

 The girl turned back to face her masterpiece, some kind of longing in the pit of her stomach. Her small hand traced the picture, as she stared at it, biting her lip.

 "Are you okay?"

 The gruff voice echoed, and the child gave a weak smile. James was not a talkative person. She was usually the one who did the talking, but today, for some reason, James had said more than just a few lines.

 "I'm fine,"

 She turned to face James, and she remembered something very important. Her smile now wider, she scrambled over to the creaking rusty bed, and dove a hand under the decaying mattress. Her hand groping, she suddenly felt something small, the exact same thing that she was trying to find. Extracting her hand out of the mattress and walking eagerly towards James, 062144's eyes sparkled with excitement as she giggled, hiding her hands behind her.