Choice

Later that day I was standing behind Quinn in the corridor. She was holding a slushie as if ready to fire at any moment.

'So, you gonna do it?'

I wasn't sure. I mean I definitely didn't want to slushie anyone. It didn't seem right, especially if it was one of my friends. But I also desperately wanted to stay part of Quinn's crew. They gave me protection and I was starting to be respected by people, seen as an equal. She told me I had to choose, so which would it be? Glee or Quinn, friends or popularity, to remain an outcast or finally fit in?

'I'll do it.'

Immediately I felt a pang of guilt in my stomach.

'Good girl, Tana. I knew you'd come around. Finn's standing over there, at his locker. You see him?'

'Yeah I do.'

'Just walk over them and throw it over him. Extra points if you get it on the hobbit.'

'Her name's Rachel.'

Wow, I can't believe I stuck up for Berry. Since when was that a thing?

'As long as you're with us, she's hobbit. Now hurry up and do it or you'll miss your chance.'

I stepped forward, shaking. I looked back at Quinn who nodded firmly at me, indicating that I was doing the right thing. I knew I wasn't, but somehow I couldn't stop myself. I walked over to Finn, feeling terrible. Just last week I had stood here chatting to him about the cars we would buy when we could afford them. And now I was about to carry out the ultimate act of betrayal. Betrayal by slushie. Finn turned when he noticed me and his eyes lit up.

'Hey San!'

His gaze fell to the cup in my hands and his expression changed.

'San, what are you doing?'

He looked over at Quinn and then back at me, working out the answer to his question.

'You know you don't have to do this right? They don't care about you; she doesn't care about you. You're disposable to them. One of her mindless minions. You know, I thought you were different. I thought you were individual and unique. I loved hanging out with you. Come back to your real friends San. Please.'

Behind me I heard Quinn's voice urging me on.

'What are you waiting for? Don't listen to him, just do it. You're one of us now, remember?'

Finn was right, but so was Quinn. I was one of them now. I took a deep breath and threw the contents of the cup straight over Finn. Not a bad shot, if I do say so myself! Behind me the crowd of cheerios who had gathered to watch giggled. Quinn smiled that threatening smile. Rachel gave me a hard stare before putting her arm round Finn and taking him off. Bits of slushie slowly dripped down the lockers where he had stood. And I couldn't move. What had I done?