Chapter 22

CHAPTER TWENTY- TWO

His eyes widen in shock. “Bonnie?”
She gave him a weak smile. “Don’t worry I’ll be fine, trust me.”
Uriel warred with himself, at the idea of letting go of her, at this height a fall would be lethal, it could even kill an Empuria a century old. However he knew he would reach her before that happened. It would be hard holding unto the veil, and suspending her in the air while airborne, but he figured he could catch her if it came down to it. Besides his warden wasn’t suicidal; a little crazy, yes. “Okay.” He said, and started unwrapping his arms from her midsection, slowly.
The moment he let go, she arched are back and groaned but only for a split second, as immediately, wings sprout from behind her, suspending her in the air. His eyes widened in surprise at what he was seeing. She wasn’t an angel, that fact he knew, female angels didn’t exist. A close examination of her large wings, revealed it had sturdy feathers, with scale like covering of outer part of the both wings. With a sharp claw at the arch, furthers from her body. Immediately he recognized the features. There was no mistaking it. His early assumption about her being Valkyrie had been right. He had seen such wings once before- although a long time ago, and knew their distinct features, but how was she able to retract her wings, a feature that was only possible for an archangel?.
“I didn’t know your kind still existed. I mean, it has been a long time since I’ve seen a Valkyrie.”
“You know of my kind?” Bonnie asked in surprise.
“More than a thousand years ago, what happened? It was as if your kin went out of existence.”
“It’s a long story, but somehow our ancestors locked our wings and powers within us, and only a queen retains its power, and is the key to breaking the bonds apparently. How? I don’t know.” She admitted, feeling lightness to her chest, her soul, and she wanted to share it all with him. Her mate.
“You…. You are the Valkyrie queen?” Uriel asked.
“Yes.” She said with an air of pride.
“How long have you known you were Valkyrie?” Uriel asked and she heard the underlining question.
“I have always known I was more, more than a human, more than even a Valkyrie.” Bonnie said, flexing her wings and making a gesture to fly, and Uriel joined her. Together the just glided through the midnight sky, as she continued with the story of her life. “My father got my mother knocked up in a one night stand while she was on a hunt. She didn’t know what he was and didn’t have time to ask, as he was gone morning, with only finding out she was going to have me, the only proof she had that the night had been real.”
“Your mother…?” Uriel asked.
Bonnie thought of the most accurate answer to offer. There had been two versions to her mother’s disappearance. On one hand it was said she was killed during her last known mission, however, there was no prove that she was truly dead. Bonnie had hoped for as long as she could remember. She had even gone searching for her mother during her first two years fresh out of Warden Academy. She had arrived at a dead end every time. It had taken her best friend, Cheryl’s help to get her to drop the case, which, she could feel eating away her sanity and move on.
Uriel had never known the sadness of losing a love one, but it was one he could understand, back in heaven, Casstiel had explain the process of the loss of a mortal life, and the sadness of losing a love one. It gave him an idea of what the felt, even though he didn’t understand why the mourned, when there was a great possibility that there were in a better place.
“How fast can you fly?” Uriel asked hoping to get her mind off what was clearly a painful memory. Flying always uplifted his spirit and he was hoping it would do the same for her.
She rewarded him with a smile, just before the both shot through the night sky.