08 speech

speech (n.) the expression of or the ability to express thoughts and feelings by articulate sounds.

male lead | female lead

"Hey."

"Hello."

"How are you?"

"I am okay. You?"

". . . I'm doing fine."

"You sure? Is there something wrong?"

"Why do you talk like that?"

"Like what?"

"Like, whenever we're talking you don't say the contractions of the words."

"Contractions?"

"A contraction is a shortened form of a word that omits certain letters or sounds."

". . ."

"An example would be, can't. Can't is the contraction of cannot, or don't. Don't is the contraction of do not."

"Oh."

"And you don't ever use those contractions when you're talking to me. You speak the full version of the contraction."

". . . Sorry."

"No, no! Don't apologize. I'm just confused as to why you talk like that. I have no issue with it. I just never met someone who speaks like that."

"It's my mother."

"What?"

"My mother. She taught me that talking in full sentences shows that you are not incompetent and lazy."

"You believed that?"

"I . . ."

"Speaking in contractions doesn't really prove that you're incompetent or lazy. It's just a form of speech."

"It is just that my mother always had this sort of fantasy image for me. Making me more . . . lady-like."

"You don't have to be ladylike."

"I know. It is just . . . I . . ."

"Biscotto. You don't have to explain anything to me."

"You truly are the nicest person I have ever met."

"Nicer than your brother?"

"No, but you know what I mean."

"Don't worry biscotto. You're the nicest person I've ever met too."