37 tear-stained

tear-stained (adj.) wet with tears.

THE COLD WINTER breeze blew harshly, causing Ivy to shiver. She walked through the gates of the Roselawn Cemetery, where her aunt was buried. She slightly winced as she felt the sleeves of her shirt, underneath brush up against a few of her exposed cuts. She tightly held the hand-picked camellia flowers; her aunt's favourite.

She continued walking until she found her aunt's grave. The snow crunched underneath her snow boots, with every step she took. Ivy felt a tear trickle down her cheek and fall onto one of the bright pink flowers. A few more started to fall but she instantly wiped them away.

She couldn't cry. Not now. Not ever. Her aunt wouldn't want that. But she couldn't help it. Tears slowly began to trickle down her cheek and they fell onto the snow or sometimes the camellias. She missed her aunt dearly. She was like the motherly figure she never had. Aunt Camellia always took care of her. She was the one who watched Ivy and Lucas grow up.

But she, unfortunately, passed away due to breast cancer. It shattered Ivy's heart; she was the closest to Camellia.

Ivy finally found her aunt's grave. She remembered her aunt telling her that she wanted to lay next to her husband, who had passed away when Ivy was eight. He was also like the father figure she never had. So she promised her aunt. She promised her that she'll lay next to her husband who was buried in Roselawn Cemetery in Toronto, where she is now.

Ivy stood before the grave and stared.

Tears were streaming down her face, yet her face remained blank. She missed her. She never missed someone as much as she missed her aunt. Ivy didn't want to place the camellia flowers down on the crisp white snow. But she didn't want to leave without leaving her own aunt a birthday present.

So she quietly bent down and placed the gorgeous pink camellias in front of the grave. They looked gorgeous, just sitting there, with the picturesque snow as a crystalline white canvas. A choked sob finally released from her lips, her hands coming up to her mouth, trying to keep herself quiet.

Her heart clenched, as she stared at her aunt's tombstone.

Camellia Dahlia Grey
December 23rd, 1970
November 15th, 2013
"There are always flowers for those who want to see them."

Ivy read the epitaph over and over again. It was something her aunt always said to her. To make her happy whenever she felt upset, hurt, alone, or sad.

It meant that there are many wonders in life to be thankful for, especially for those who want to seek and appreciate them.

Hearing her Aunt Camellia say always made her feel warm and fuzzy inside. It made a small smile appear on her face. She would feel her tears stop and she would instantly think about all of the wonders she has in life she was thankful for. Her aunt would always be at the top of the list.

"I miss you," Ivy whispers, tears still streaming down her cheeks, "I miss you so much. I don't think I can live without you, mum. I wish you could come back to me. I wish I could hear you sing me to sleep. I wish you would tuck me into bed and kiss me good night. I'm falling apart without you. I just want you to come home. I want to hug you and practice dancing with you even though I'm awful at it. I just want to see you again."

Ivy was on her knees now, crying harder than ever. She didn't care if the cold, wet snow was seeping through the thin fabric of her black leggings. She just wanted to see her aunt one last time. But she knew she couldn't and that's what hurt. It hurt that she couldn't see her again.

Her hands immediately reached up to the locket. The only physical structure left reminded her of her aunt. The locket was a gold circle was a moon and star carved on top. Inside was a picture of her and her aunt. On the back were Ivy's initials and her Aunt Camellia's initials.

As Ivy cried her eyes out, what she didn't know-something she'll never know-was that her Aunt Camellia was right beside her, watching her loving niece who was basically her daughter, sobbing her heart out. Camellia's heart broke as she watched Ivy cry. She didn't want her to be sad every single day of her life. But she couldn't do anything other than just watch her and pray that she'll feel better soon.

Ivy stopped crying and wiped her tears away, "There's this guy. He's the sweetest person I've ever met. His name is Mason-Mason Woods. He's funny, a tad bit dramatic but that's what makes him . . . perfect. I think I might be in love with him. I have no idea what to do. I told him how I feel though. I remember you telling me to be bold and confident. But he hung up on me, and I feel heartbroken. I can't just forget about him. Maybe I'm just not loveable."

Camellia watched Ivy with a sad smile, her heart ached for her niece. She wanted to hug her and tell her everything would be alright. But she couldn't.

"Anyway, here are some pink camellia flowers. You liked pink because it represented grace and innocence, besides, camellia flowers were your favourite. I mean they do match your name." Ivy took a pause as she knew her voice cracked. She couldn't cry forever. She looked away from her aunt's grave, composing herself, before looking back.

"Happy fiftieth birthday mum. I will always love you. I hope you're happy, wherever you are." Ivy whispered before getting up and moving to the tombstone next to her. She stuck her hand into the snow and pushed it aside. She grabbed the pocket knife from her coat pocket before digging a very tiny hole into it.

She then grabbed her uncle's wedding ring from her coat pocket. The ring he couldn't wear when he passed away in the hospital because of his heart disease. No one knew why he couldn't wear the ring, but Ivy found out why a few months ago.

She dropped the gold ring into the small hole before covering it back up with the dirt and snow. She looked at her uncle's grave and tears rolled down her cheeks once again.

God, I'm such a fucking crybaby. She thought.

Ambrose Mazus Grey
June 19th, 1965
January 11th, 2010
"They who plant a garden, plant happiness."

"Hi, dad. I never got to visit you on your birthday this year. But here I am. I bought you your wedding ring." Ivy started off, putting a small smile on her face. "I found it before I had to leave to come here for university. Mother had it hidden in her drawer. I learned that she wanted to sell it for money since it was real gold. But I couldn't let that happen. I know you wanted to wear it once you passed away. But you never got the chance."

Ambrose stood next to Camellia, his arm wrapped around her waist. Her head was resting on his shoulder. They softly smiled, watching the girl they loved with fond hearts.

"But here you are. I buried it under some grass and dirt so no one would steal it. Even if you don't have it on, you deserve to have it near you. I love you so much. I miss you as much as I miss mum. I'll always love you too. You turned fifty-five this year. Happy belated birthday." Ivy says, her smile slightly faltering. Her heart was hurting. Grief and pain coated every inch of her soul and it wasn't vanishing anytime soon.

Ivy got up and looked at the graves one last time before tears started falling again. "I love you guys." She whispered, before turning on her heel and walking away.

Ambrose and Camellia watched Ivy walk away with heavy hearts. Camellia looked down at the flowers and the exact spot she buried the gold ring. A small smile appeared on her lips, then she looked back up at her husband who gave her a small grin.

Camellia and Ambrose knew the amount of pain Ivy felt. But they also knew that she was going to get better. Especially since a certain boy had entered the picture.