23 sepsis

sepsis (n.) a serious condition resulting from the presence of harmful microorganisms in the blood or other tissues and the body's response to their presence, potentially leading to the malfunctioning of various organs, shock, and death.

chéri | ivy

"Hey Ivy."

"Hi chéri. I owe you an apology."

"For what?"

"For lashing out like that yesterday."

"It's okay biscotto. You were hurting."

"Yeah . . . but still. I just want to say I am really sorry. You did not deserve to get yelled at."

"It's okay biscotto."

"What are you doing?"

"I'm at the hospital."

"Your mom, right?"

"Yeah. They needed me here for something but it's been an hour and they haven't done anything."

"Do you at least know how your mom is doing?"

"Yeah, she's stable. Surprisingly."

"Surprisingly?"

"Well, yesterday the doctors were worried she may pass away. But she pulled through and she's alive."

"Well, that is a good thing."

"Yeah, it is."

"But . . . doesn't sepsis kill you in twelve hours?"

"Yeah, it does. This is what really confused me when the doctors were talking to me about it. I feel like they're hiding something but I don't know. Maybe I'm just being paranoid."

"But then again, maybe they are hiding something because your mom asked them to. So you do not worry about something too much."

"You think so?"

"I am just guessing. But if you feel as if someone is hiding something from you, then you should find out what is it."

"Yeah, I definitely will."

"Mr. Woods, can you please come with us?"

"Yeah sure-hey biscotto I have to-"

"Go. I understand chéri. Good luck."

"Thank you, Ivy."

"Anything for you chéri."