Falling Apart

Sophie

 Day of the Funeral

 “Sophie honey, we need to go.” Mom yells from the bottom of the steps.

 I grab my phone and my lip-gloss, shoving them into my purse. I take one more look in the mirror, unsatisfied, but there’s no time to change now. I turn and run down the steps.

 “Sam, let’s go!” Mom yelled into the bedroom, from the kitchen.

 “I’m coming.” He yelled back, sounding aggravated.

 She snatched the keys off the table, walking towards the garage.

 “Let’s go, Sophie.” She called, signaling for me to follow her.

 We got in the car, and my dad came running out, fixing his tie as he ran to the car.

 “It’s about time.” Mom scoffed, rolling her eyes.

 “Mom, you really need to chill. Dad is trying his best, just like the rest of us. You’re starting to get on my nerves.” I snapped, my anger exploding.

 The ride to the funeral was an awkward silence. Not the comfortable silence where the air is clear for anybody to say anything they want. No, it was the kind of silence that urks me. It makes me want to scream.

 We get to the funeral home and my parents get out. I sat my head back against the head rest, trying to get the strength to move. I’m not sure if I can do this. It’s my brother, my best friend. Things are never gonna be the same. His Sunday morning breakfast he always made before church, his angelic laugh that could make me laugh even when I was at my maddest. He was always there for me.. he was my rock.

 I let out a sigh, and then open my door, getting out. The cold air nips my skin, making me internally beat myself up for not wearing a jacket or something. I walk in, finding the room for Jesse Cooper. I trudge slowly into the room, totally overwhelmed. There are people from my mom’s side of the family, dad’s side, friends, co-workers, and people from school, even some of my teachers. That’s kind of weird.

 I went inside the little room and saw the casket. I don’t think I’m ready to see him. It’s gonna be so hard knowing he won’t be laughing at any of my lame jokes, elbow me in the side at church when me and Rebekah are goofing off, or be there when I need help with my homework. No, instead he left me just because some stupid person decided to be ‘cool’ and text while driving. Well, I hope they’re happy because they took my brother’s life. Stupid, selfish people.

 I look longingly for someone I know. Spotting Aliciah and some of Jesse’s friends, I feel sudden relief. I make a fast pace towards them, catching Noah’s attention as I walked up.

 “Hey, Sophie.” Noah, one of Jesse’s best friends, said. He got up, enveloping me in a tight, reassuring hug. I wrap my arms around him, returning the hug, weakly.

 “I’m hanging in there.” I mumble, totally lying. “How about you Ali?”

 She didn’t say anything… she couldn’t. I knew that at any given moment she could start bawling. She just nodded her head as she stared at the casket in some kind of daze, as if all of this was dream. I hate this. It shouldn’t have happened to my brother. I feel like it’s all my fault. If I would’ve just gone to the stupid store, it wouldn’t have happened probably.

 I look behind me, seeing Rebekah and her mom, Hailey standing towards the back.

 “Hey, I’m going to talk to Beks and her mom. I’ll see you all later. Thank you so much for coming.”