Home

That night in the cafe it was like the warmth had been drained from the room. It used to have a comforting atmosphere. Almost like a home. But that was long gone now.

"After graduation, we're leaving." Daichi announced.
"And we're taking all of you too."

But the third years graduation was two months away. That seemed way too long to wait. Would we even still be here by then? It was clear from what had happened that the CCG was onto us. Even if nobody wanted to admit it, we knew. Where would we even go?

It wasn't uncommon for ghouls to be unemployed just laying low in the cities. But I don't want to be one of those ghouls. I want to live a normal life. If they hadn't attacked my family, we wouldn't even be  in this situation. Humans are selfish too. So selfish.

"Wouldn't it be kind of suspicious if a group of kids just disappeared." Tsukishima had been deep in thought for a while now. I almost thought he was day dreaming.

"Yeah, but what else can we do?" Daichi sounded defeated. Everyone was defeated.

"They finally got us huh." It became clear Coach Ukai had been listening to our conversation for a while now. He seemed to ease drop on us a lot. Probably to make sure we were making the right decisions. We could be pretty reckless at times.

Daichi and Sugawara made it their priority to find a place for us to move too. But judging from their facial expressions they already had a rough idea of where we were going.

Everything was about to change. We all knew that.

Me, Yamaguchi and Tsukishima headed back to our place walking with even more caution in our step than usual. It felt like we were being watched wherever we went. Even walking past the wide open fields it felt like we were being spied on. Was it really a good idea for us to go anywhere at this point?

"Hey Hinata, we'll be fine you know." Yamaguchi attempted to reassure me with those words, but that wouldn't work. His words felt like an empty promise.

"This was my only chance at a normal life."

I didn't want them to speak after that. I didn't want them to reply. But of course, Tsukishima had something to say.

"We can't have a normal life."

It was obvious he was going to say something like that.

The stars were bright that night. It almost felt like they were mocking us. Giving off enough light to illuminate themselves bright in the sky, but they didn't light up the path home. Stars always left us in darkness.

Everything felt so dull and empty. The small apartment the three of us had worked so hard to call home was slipping away from us. Did we really have to leave everything behind? They had already taken my family from me, why couldn't they just stop. Just leave me alone.

I shut myself in my room and turned off the light laying in darkness. The last few months had been agonising I just wanted it all to be over. Leaving the only life I had known behind was going to be tough. I could just feel it.

"You know wallowing in your own sadness won't do you any good." Tsukishima opened the door pulling my curtains open. It was morning now.
When the hell did I fall asleep?

"Shut up bean pole."

I sat up rubbing my eyes, still tired despite the fact I had slept for long enough. After Tsukishima had left the room I slipped on my school uniform expecting to be walking alone as usual. But the other two were waiting for me. As we stepped outside Daichi and the others were also waiting.

They had made the collective decision to travel together from now on. It was getting too dangerous for ghouls to travel alone. The CCG had been closing in on them for a while and they hadn't even noticed. We walked to school in silence listening the sounds of crows cawing and the breeze rustling the tree branches. It all felt eerie.

After practice coach Ukai called us all for a meeting, but it wasn't about volleyball. Daichi was the one who actually wanted to speak to us.

"After graduation we're leaving. There's a place waiting for us in the centre of Tokyo. We leave April 29th."

The conversation was abrupt but it all made sense. Kageyama told me how it scared him how we were all so quick to leave our lives behind. It wasn't something we liked doing. It was something many of us had done countless times. Life was always changing for us, usually it wasn't for the better.

𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚝𝚘𝚘𝚔 𝚊 𝚠𝚑𝚒𝚕𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚞𝚙𝚍𝚊𝚝𝚎 𝚘𝚘𝚙𝚜. 👀