Chapter Thirty-Seven

Disclaimer: this is a very intense chapter that covers difficult topics such as drugs and suicide. please skip this chapter if needed, i'll try to post the next one ASAP so you can read something! love you all <3

Andrei searched for a solid twenty minutes through the maze of hallways until he found Zara perched on a windowsill and Sam standing at the bottom. They were in the library, a gorgeous place that was under-appreciated because Andrei doubted that anyone in the Caddel territory actually spent their time using the original novels and hardcover, yet to be published books. If anything, it was just another trophy for Caddel to flex his wealth and power. He made his footsteps heard as she approached the woman, Sam sending a small glare towards Andrei before leaving the two alone.

When the door to the library had closed, Andrei pulled himself up onto the ledge in one slick motion and rested his back on the opposite wall. Zara was looking out the window upon their enormous yard, seeing all of the guards doing their patrolling. Andrei was fairly intelligent so he knew that he shouldn't say the first words. He needed to allow Zara to speak and take time to form her opinions, not as much time as he typically needed, but enough time to control her emotions. Her cheeks weren't puffy, her skin wasn't red, and her eyes seemed normal. Good, no crying. It physically pained him when Zara cried.

The guilt had been eating at him since he threw her to the wolves and into the arms of a man who had harmed her. The guilt of knowing that he had used her in order to close a business deal that would remove her family's company from the throne and replacing it with his own. It was one thing to take the crown, it was another thing to use the princess in order to do so. Caddel's words rang through his mind, You simply remind me of me. Was that a compliment from the devil himself? Andrei didn't know whether it was a good or bad thing. Did he want to be like Caddel? He did admire his rise to the top, the empire he built out of nothing.

"Were you ever going to tell me?" she asked, her voice surprisingly calm.

Be honest. "Only if it ever came up in conversation."

Zara released a dry laugh. "And I suppose you'd purposefully avoid the topic until the day you died," she snipped. "Tell me, Lykaois, you know that one day I will take over Caddel Enterprises and already many people in the company do not respect me because I am a party girl... at least that's what they claim. In reality, many of the employees party more than I do, smoke more than I do, drink more than I do, fuck strangers more than I do. None of them will admit it out loud, but the real reason why they don't like me is because I am a woman." She paused and rolled her eyes. "You'd think in the twenty-first century, it would be different. It has improved, but not enough. Never enough. So tell me, Lykaois, did you use me in order to jeopardize my position in the company?"

"I did not. I would never jeopardize your position in the company," Andrei replied. He reached for her hands, thankful that she didn't pull them away.

She studied his face and saw the regret in his features. "What was going through your mind then? How come you didn't just kill Nicholson in the first place and forge his signature? You didn't need to go through all the trouble of bringing me along in order for your plan to succeed."

"I... I wasn't thinking clearly," Andrei sighed. "All I was thinking of─"

"Don't fucking say, all I was thinking of was you," Zara scoffed. She had still yet to meet his eyes as she turned her head back to the window. "Because clearly, you weren't."

Somehow, he was still holding her hands. "Zara," he spoke. "I was selfish. I was selfishly thinking of myself and how much I wanted you that I did anything I could to get some alone time with you. Because after last summer─ I couldn't stop thinking about you." She opened her mouth to speak, but Andrei cut her off, already knowing what she'd say. "And no, it wasn't because I liked the sex, which was great if you were wondering. I don't think anyone's made me cum that quickly."