Chapter Twenty-One

Everyone knew who the fuck Zara Caddel was when she was escorted inside by Andrei Lykaois. Both of them strutted down the stairs with small smiles and immediately greeted by the hostess and her family members at the bottom of the steps. They all knew that the Caddels and Lyskaois were family friends, they never realized how close they were to one another. Despite being public figures, most of their family and friend life were private. They paid well.

It took two hours of making small talk with hundreds of folks before they were able to sit down at their assigned table. They discussed politics in America, their future plans after high school, favorite places to travel and other small tips, how they liked Paris, and then many asked about her father. Zara took charge of most of the conversation. It was a good thing that people knew that Andrei never liked to make small talk unless it was with people he respected, wanted to go into business with, or his mother required him to play nice. The two received questions asking if they were a couple which both of them quickly changed the subject.

At the dinner table, the auction took another long hour and she noticed how Andrei never even touched his paddle until they arrived at the end. The highest item going for auction was a townhouse in Zurich, Switzerland. Andrei and another man went after it. The price kept on getting hiked up millions more than it was worth. Zara loved to spend money, but she did it wisely and this was not smart of him. He was no longer drunk, she made sure that he only drank water to have an even alcohol to liquid ratio, so what the fuck was he doing?

"Lykaois," she muttered.

"Relax, Caddel," he said. "I know what I'm doing."

A couple of minutes later, Andrei lost and the man who won received a round of applause. Zara watched as Andrei toasted to the man who bought the townhouse, the man toasting back as the noise died down.

Finishing dinner, they talked and laughed with the people at their dinner. Then Andrei leaned over, the smell of vodka finally gone. "Dance with me, Caddel," he said.

Accepting his hand, he led her to the dance floor. It was a slow waltz. She placed one hand on his shoulder and another in his hand, moving to the string instruments. Zara felt everyone's eyes on them as they danced. They were definitely one of the youngest in the room and one of the most powerful.

"Where's your important client?" she asked. Zara was looking over his shoulder as they made their way across the floor, trying to find this man when she spotted the new townhouse owner. "Was he the one who you bided against?"

"No, that's just an old friend," Andrei replied, keeping his response vague. "The one you're here to charm will be arriving within the hour. He will ask you to dance."

Zara frowned. "Selling me off to the highest bidder?"

"No one can pay the price for what you're worth." Andrei spun her around. "You'll know who he is when he appears."

"There are many people who can ask me to dance," she pointed out. "Do I know him?"

Andrei gripped her waist a little tighter, his head could rest on her head. She was tempted to lean against his firm chest. "Perhaps you'll know him."

Zara hated his vague shitty-ass answers. "How will I recognize him?" she pressed.

"He's the only one who will ask you to dance."

"I disagree. If you recall, I'm quite charming and look fucking good in this dress."

Andrei ignored her quip of her using his own words against him. He leaned down to whisper into her ear, "You walked in with me, Caddel, no one will touch you even when I'm not by your side. Only he has permission from me to ask you to dance and nothing more."