Chapter Nineteen

Andrei entered the townhouse with half an hour to spare before they left for the charity event. As he walked through the front door, buttoning his suit coat, he spotted the shopping bags scattered around the living room. Dresses, purses, jewelry, and books. Andrei made a mental note to bring the maid in to straighten up the house before they returned later tonight. At least the girls had fun. He couldn't remember the last time Elodie even bought something on one of their travel trips.

Going up the first flight of stairs, he was surprised to see his assistant leaving Zara's room with a laugh. The most he's ever seen Elodie so relaxed, she was only smiling. Of course Zara would be able to become friends with his quiet and polite assistant. She had a way of bringing people out of their comfort zone.

"Elodie," he greeted with a small nod.

"Mr. Lykaois," she said fairly loudly, most likely to let know Zara know he had arrived. "How was your day?"

"Effective."

The numerous business meetings were a bore and he was having an alright day until he received a call and had to take care of something.

"You got blood on your shirt," Elodie quietly told him.

"Are you staying until we go?" Andrei asked, ignoring her comment. He knew he had blood on his shirt, he was using his jacket to cover as much of it up as possible. Now his hands were at his sides, away from the view of his assistant whom if she saw his knuckles would have no hesitation of fretting over him. Elodie was like his older sister.

Elodie gripped the railing and started heading down as she called, "Of course! I want to wouldn't miss seeing your face when Zara comes down in her dress!"

"It's just a dress, Elodie," Andrei informed her, trying to keep his mind focused on what he was going to wear tonight.

"On a gorgeous girl," Elodie added with a smile. "Who you invited to Paris instead of bringing your family for an event that they'd adore. Then went out of your way to schedule an appointment with Elie Saab two days before you flew out."

And what a pain in the ass it was to schedule an appointment last minute. He had to pull a couple of strings. Andrei was never one to keep up with fashion so he may or may not have went through Cersei's travel journals for when she and Zara traveled during the summer to look for a designer that she'd appreciate.

"She's a Caddel. She is a better date in the public eye and can help me with my goal."

The smile still danced on Elodie's face as she turned around. "You never call any girl a date, only an accompaniment." Andrei glared at her, making her laugh, but she didn't stop there. "And isn't it strange that you and Danica end your relationship when Zara arrives into town?"

"A coincidence," Andrei said calmly.

"Convenient timing," Elodie agreed. "And perhaps it's a universal sign."

Andrei checked his watch. "I need to get ready."

It was the best excuse he come think of to end the conversation and Elodie knew it. The smile still stayed on her lips as he went to his room to shower. A long hot shower, scrubbing the blood from his body and shirt, and a clean shave later, he chose a black tuxedo and Italian shoes. Silver cufflinks, hair gel, and his signature cologne. He saw that they would be leaving in about three minutes. He bore a silver ring on his left hand along with a Rolex watch, hoping that others would be distracted by his expensive jewelry rather than the bruises beginning to form on his hands. Andrei didn't mind getting his hands dirty once in a while, but today's incident could've been completely avoided. He was provoked.