Chapter Six

Cersei's mom was named Lena and her dad was called Miron. Lena had immediately greeted Zara and Enzo when they arrived at the party dressed in cocktail attire. Zara wore a forest green dress while Enzo was dressed in a casual navy suit. Lena hugged them both tightly, ranted about how her husband was away on business, but got Zara a welcoming gift that was sitting in their living room. The two made their rounds, talking to anyone Lena introduced them to, until they found Cece speaking with Damien in the back near the pool house.

"Let's get drunk," Zara said with a yawn and looped her arm through Cersei's.

Cersei frowned. "You've only been here for an hour. You haven't finished your rounds."

Zara gave her friend a large smile as she walked by a table with an unopened bottle of white wine resting in a bucket of ice. She scooped it up with her left hand and with her right hand, she pulled Cersei from the shade of the trees in their backyard and towards the pool house.

"My party, right?" Zara grinned.

They found that the real party had already begun in the pool house. Kenji was talking with some girls on the couch, and Beckett quickly greeted Cersei when she entered. Zara played a couple of rounds of pong with Damien on her team. Both of them were extremely competitive and kicked everyone's asses that they sooned moved away from the game because they were too sober to Zara's liking. The girl took many shots with Enzo and Kenji, finding themselves laughing on the ground after someone told the stupidest story ever. Both of the boys seemed to relax, their moods changing immediately as they were in the presence of others. All three of them wanted to forget what had happened in the past day.

She saw Beckett and Cersei dancing together in a crowd of a bunch of teenagers that she didn't know. Zara found her feet and used the wall to guide her to where Damien stood, his cup empty as he leaned against the wall and watched the scene play.

"You ever gonna tell her?" Zara slurred. She rested her head on his arm as she dropped her empty plastic cup on the ground.

It took a moment before Damien realized that Zara was speaking to him. His eyes and mind were too trained on the dance floor. "Tell what?" he asked.

Zara rolled her eyes and took the cup from his hand. "You're not even drunk," she said and grabbed a bottle of whatever from a table nearby. She handed it to him. "Drink or tell her."

Damien shared a look with the drunk girl and reluctantly accepted the bottle.

Zara patted the man on the arm. "Attaboy," she said and picked up a cup from the ground as Damien opened the bottle.

"I think you've had enough," Damien chuckled and removed the cup from her hand.

"I haven't even thrown up!" she exclaimed, trying to take the cup back.

"Z, you don't want to throw up," the boy told her and chucked the cup across the room. She was pretty sure it hit Beckett in the head. "I would tell Enzo to take you home, but it seems like you're more sober than he is."

Zara looked over to where Enzo was with Kenji and some others. He was drinking, he was drinking a lot more than she was. The Golden Boys rarely drank in public and especially not to this extent. She didn't know why she was so invested in upholding their reputation, but she felt like she needed to stop Enzo and Kenji from downing the rest of the beers on the table. Sure, they loved to party, but did the whole school need to know that? Besides, when people are drunk, secrets and words tend to come out.

"He's had a rough week," she winced. "I guess I'll be the responsible one for once."

"You do that, Z," Damien said with a smile and took a swig from his bottle. "There's coffee in the kitchen."