Chapter 16

As Fíli, Kíli and Dwalin joined the fight, Frêllian only had eyes for a certain ferian. Her golden eyes were fixed on him, as the frightened male snarled at her. She knew he was just pretending, buffing himself up to make him appear larger. But she wasn't afraid of him, nor was she intimidated!
She could smell his fear, just like the others appeared to fear her. And she had a feeling she knew why. Something had changed. She had noticed her sight had become keener, as had her other senses. It was almost like she had become a wolf again, without shifting.
As she circled around her uncle, Frêllian smirked. So it seemed the legend was true. The power of the firstborn was true. And that meant she might actually had a chance against the white warg. Not that she was concerned about that right now. First she would kill that filthy mutt and save Thorin!
A dangerous growl escaped her throat as Frêllian suddenly leaped towards Fêrram. Her movement faster than before. She could never match her uncle before in speed, but now it seemed he was only just a bit faster. Too bad.
Instead of hitting him with a fatal blow, he got away just in time. Her sword barely scraping his skin as he jumped out of the way. Still, she was able to draw blood and the male ferian yelped in pain. With a smirk, Frêllian looked at the wolf-like creature before her. Fêrram might be quicker, she had always been the one with the better stamina. All she needed to do, was to wear him out.
She striked again, this time missing the ferian. But just as she was about to strike again, her sensitive ears heard the soft grunt of her dearest friend, stopping her in her tracks. Seeing an opening, Fêrram leaped forward. But it was already too late. Frêllian was already at Bilbo's side, raising her sword at the warg that had flung him in the air.
'Will you look at this,' Matriarch snarled, snapping her yaw at the ferian. 'My little pup is growing up.'
Ignoring the warg, Frêllian could hear Bilbo getting up again. She knew she would have to be careful with the white warg and her rider. Together they were a dangerous pair and Frêllian did not know whether or not she might be able to defeat the pair right now. Besides she didn't want any of her other friends getting hurt either.
She had forgotten about them for a moment, but the grunting sound of Bilbo had opened her eyes. They were surrounded by wargs, ferien and orcs and the only thing protecting Bilbo from the white warg, was Frêllian.
Suddenly a new sound caught her ears, followed by yells of fear. Daring to turn her eyes away from Matriarch and her rider for a moment, Frêllian froze as she saw giant eagles had appeared. She could duck her head just in time as one flew over towards her, his sharp tallons reaching out for something near her. Then there was a loud yelp as the eagle grabbed a warg, throwing it over the cliff.
Watching in horror as the giant creatures attacked their enemy mercilessly, Frêllian reached out her hand to grasp Bilbo's. The hobbit as terrified as she was herself, standing as close as possible as he watched the eagles with big eyes as well.
An eagle then suddenly landed behind them and Frêllian quickly turned around just in time to see it wrap its talons around the unconscious form of Thorin. She wanted to protest, demanding the eagle let go of her leader. But then Frêllian noticed some of the eagles were carrying away the dwarves and one was even carrying Gandalf on his back and she stopped.
As Thorin was being lifted into the air, Frêllian was forced to turn her attention back towards Azog and Matriarch. The orc roared in frustration, his icy eyes trained on Thorin. Then the orc was forced back as another eagle headed straight for an alarmed Bilbo – the hobbit had yet to figure out the eagle was rescuing him – snatching him off the ground. It released Bilbo midair, causing him to scream loudly as he fell down again, before landing on the back of another eagle. After that, the eagle returned, picking up Frêllian from the ground right before Matriarch was about to leap at the ferian. Missing her target, the warg growled in anger. Her golden eyes trained on Frêllian as the eagle flew off with ferian between his talons.
While the eagles were elegantly gracing the sky, the terrified ferian had a firm grip on the eagle that was carrying her. Why was she forced to do all these unnatural things in one day?! Climbing a tree, while wolves don't climb trees, that was one thing. But to fly? No, that just wasn't natural. No wingless creature should be able to fly. Flying meant you had been grabbed by a flying predator and well… Being caught by a predator only meant one thing, you're dead.
These giant eagles may just as well have saved them, only wanting an easy meal. Who was to say they were not bringing them to their nest up high in the mountains? It was the season for chicks to be ready to fly out, right?
Frêllian was so caught up in her own world – and fear of falling – she didn't even hear the worried cry of Fíli as he called over to his uncle. Nor did she hear the worried hobbit asking her a question. Only the sound of the singing wind reached her ears. And the occasional screeching of an eagle.
In her fear of falling, Frêllian had closed her – once again blue – eyes, not daring to look down at the moving ground below her. Way, way below her!