Chapter 24

Frêllian half listened as Fíli told her a story about one of his journeys. She knew what he was trying to do, but it wasn't working. Her mind continuously wandered to her hobbit friend.
Bilbo had ventured deep into Erebor after Balin had shown him the way, in search for the Arkenstone. With no knowledge whether the fire drake was still alive or not.
She had wanted to go with him. To protect Bilbo at all cost. But he had insisted on doing this alone, much to her dismay. A determination in his eyes, she had rarely seen in the hobbits eyes.
'It is foolish to harbour romantic feelings for the hobbit,' a voice suddenly spoke from behind her. 'They do not live as long as a ferian, it will result in a heartache.'
Too shocked to speak, Frêllian turned around to face Thorin. His eyes still held a strange glint in them as he looked at her now flushed face. His stare penetrating as he stood before her. Though his eyes softening slightly.
'I can assure you there are no such feelings. A strong bond, yes. I love Bilbo, yes. But there is no romance, only a strong friendship.'
At this, Thorin just nodded with a hum. It almost appeared as if he had expected such an answer, but just needed the conformation from the young ferian herself.
'I know you have a strong bond, but you must not forget, you are the queen of ferien. And as a queen, you will have to place your duty before your own desire. For an alliance through marriage if needed. You cannot have your hobbit friend hold you back.'
At this she scowled at the dwarf. She didn't understand why the dwarf would think she harboured romantic feelings for Bilbo, when there where none. She only saw him as a dear friend. Her dearest friend!
But for him to lecture her about how to lead her people as well? Sure, he had quite the experience as a leader, having lead his people for decades. And Frêllian respected the dwarf for his leadership he had shown thus far.
But where Thorin always had had his people supporting him, Frêllian had been on her own. Growing up with traitors didn't really give one the urge to lead their people.
And even after her encouter with other ferien, Frêllian still was in no hurry to lead her people. All she wanted is revenge. To make those traitors pay for what they did to her mother. To have her uncle's head.
But lead the other ferian? What good would that do? She could bring them their doom, with how inexperienced she was. And how would she gain their loyalty? There were different packs spread all over middle earth, from what she had heard. Who was to say they would all fall in line once she announced herself as the alpha supreme?
And to form an alliance, with whom? An alpha from one of the packs? A beta? And if so, which one? And would talkative even help her restore the damage that had been done in the past?
Frêllian opened her mouth to speak, when suddenly the ground started to shake, a rumbling sound was heard from inside the mountain. Frêllian averted her eyes from the dark haired dwarf, to look for her father. While she heard Dori questioning whether or not it had been a earthquake, she knew it was something much more terrifying.
'No,' her uncle told him softly. 'That, my lad, was a dragon.'
Frêllian had to suppress the urge to growl as she held onto something while the ground shook. If that serpent was awake, then Bilbo was in danger! But with the ground trembling beneath her feet, she couldn't even move from her spot.
But as soon as the shaking stopped, Frêllian wasted no time. With a quick glance, she checked if everyone was alright. But before she could run into the mountain, a hand firmly wrapped itself around her arm.
Effectively stopping her from leaving.
And doing something stupid.
'Perhaps it would be wiser to think things through,' Fíli stated upon seeing her glare. 'I think we should think of a plan, before heading into the dragon's den.'
He was right, she knew he was right. But that didn't mean she liked it. Bilbo was down there, probably facing Smaug right now. How was she supposed to protect him, when she was out here?
'We will think of something,' Fíli promised. 'Trust me. We will think of a way to get Bilbo out of there, without sacrificing anyone.'
'No, we will not!'
'Uncle!'
But the dwarf ignored Fíli. His eyes dark as he looked into the tunnel. Telling them they would give the hobbit more time. He even growled in anger at Frêllian as she protested, startling her.
As Balin and Thorin argued, Frêllian just sood there. Silently agreeing with Balin as he practically scowled at Thorin for not being himself. She had noticed it too. The dark look in his eyes. The way he addressed Bilbo as simply the hobbit. And a couple of times he had called her ferian again.
Was this Thorin slowly going mad? Was this what dragonsickness was? And was the strong leader really being affected by it?
A soft squeeze in her hand, made her turn her attention to Fíli. The drawf had yet to leave her side, probably feeling how tens she had gotten after the revelation of Smaug being awake.
'Will you be able to pick up Bilbo's scent?'
She nodded slowly. Her clouded mind unable to really register what he was saying. It might take a little more time in this form, but she should be able to pick up his scent through the stench.
'If you were to shift, how quick will you be able to find him?'
'I would be much faster and my senses would become much more sensitive. But I dare not shift while the dragon is still in there.'
'If you want to save the hobbit, send down the ferian runt,' the voice of Thorin boomed angrily, earning an angry growl from both Frêllian and Dwalin.
The stern yet caring voice he had used with her had completely vanished and instead there was a erratic tinge to it. His eyes now void of kindness.
'What did you call me, drêgasen,' Frêllian demanded, her blue eyes slowly turning golden.
Even Fíli glared at his uncle for his statement. But Thorin was blind by the angry stares, as he continued his outburst.
'I will not risk this quest for the life of one burglar.'
That did it. Frêllian didn't even need to pull her arm away from Fíli. The dwarf had already let go of her as he scowled at his uncle. Telling him that burglar was named Bilbo.
But Frêllian did not hear him stand up for her friend as she dashed off into the mountain, ignoring the multiple voices that called out for her. She needed to find Bilbo! She would not let him die while she was still around!
As she turned a corner, she noticed her senses had become much more sensitive again. Even more so then in her wolf form.
Which meant she was in het alpha state. She wasn't sure how she had been able to do so, but it mattered not. In fact, in this state she would be able to find Bilbo even faster!