Chapter 17

'So, you have returned at last?'
The annoyance was evident in her voice, as Frêllian turned around. Now facing the approaching dwarves - and hobbit - she crossed her arms to express her annoyance even more. Completed by the scowl on her face. While the more seasoned warriors seem unfazed by this, the others started to become nervous as they approached the annoyed female.
'You did say we had to clean ourselves up because of the stench.' An unfazed hobbit stopped in front of her, an equally look of annoyance on his own face as well. 'We bathed in the river as you ordered, which was freezing cold, mind you! And now you are mad because we took too long?'
There was a moment of silence in which the tension was building as the two friends stared at each other. Bofur even swallowed thickly as he watched Frêllian's look of annoyance turn into a glare. One brow quirked as she took a whiff.
'Well at least you now smell decent I guess.' Then her glare disappeared as she suddenly looked at the others with a smile. 'I've taken the liberty to cook something while you were away. It should be ready by now. I should warn you that my cooking skills aren't that good,' she added. 'I haven't done much cooking.'
There was a confused mumbling, before they happily grabbed a plate the female had placed on a nearby rock. With all the dwarves now waiting for their food, Bombur had taken his role as cook and filled the plates. Though not before tasting it first and adding more seasoning to the brew. Meanwhile Bilbo was still standing near Frêllian, noting they were missing someone.
'Gandalf said he needed to check on something and went ahead,' Frêllian answered, placing a hand on his shoulder. 'He should not be long.'
Then the ferian followed the dwarves into their makeshift camp, leaving a slightly blushing Bilbo behind. He stared after the leaving form of Frêllian, still feeling the warmth of her hand on his shoulder. Then, after a moment, he shook his head trying to clear his mind as he followed after her.
What was happening to him? They had known each other for quite some time now - almost a year now, he realized. And Frêllian had placed her hand on his shoulder before. She had held his hand, kissed his brow. And never before had he experienced the feeling he had been feeling of recently. For a couple of weeks now, Bilbo had tried to suppress the fluttering of his stomach every time Frêllian smiled at him. He had tried to fight against the blush that threatened to spread across his face. And even then that goofy smile had been difficult to suppress.
Still, he couldn't help the sensational feeling he got every time he looked at the female. How foolish of him to even allow such feelings to cloud his mind. He could think of so many things for why they could never be together. First off all, he was a hobbit, she a ferian - and half dwarf.
Second, he was just a commoner, she the highest ranked person in the ferian hierarchy, a royalty. She was just such a fierce and brave person, born to lead. And he was just a Baggings of Bag End. Besides, her father would never allow it!
But still, why was he feeling like he would be lost without Frêllian? Why were these feelings growing stronger with every passing day?
His eyes trailed over to the said ferian, watching her as she settled in between the two dwarf princes. And before he could even stop it, he found himself glaring at them. Well, not them, never Frêllian. At least not a real glare. No, his glare was meant for just one person. Thorin's first heir, the fair haired prince.
Oh, Bilbo had noticed his friend behave differently of late as well. And he had noticed the reason why very quickly. Perhaps he was just seeing things. Perhaps his own feelings had clouded his mind, undermining his ability to think straight. But he had noticed Frêllian had gotten closer to Fíli, a lot. When this had happened, Bilbo did not know. How it had happened was even a bigger mystery to him. It didn't even matter.
The laughter of Frêllian filled the air and Bilbo felt the familiar butterflies flutter around. But it quickly stopped once Bilbo discovered she was laughing at something Fíli had said. And once again the hobbit found himself glaring at the prince. Ugh, being jealous was not something Bilbo was proud of. But it seemed like a reflex when concerning Frêllian and Fíli.
Bilbo had decided. No matter how it had happened, no matter when it had happened. The fact remained that Frêllian seemed to be drawn to the young warrior. Having traded her flirtatiousness for a shy smile, reserved only for Fíli. And even though the ferian still appeared playful, she seemed to hold back with Fíli. Something Bilbo knew Dwalin had noticed too. For the dwarf had been keeping a watchful eye on the dwarf-prince.
Suddenly a shiver ran down his spine. Someone was watching him! Silently he hoped it was Frêllian. Perhaps the ferian had taken notice of him? But he knew better than to get his hopes up. But that didn't stop him from shifting his eyes to the said female.
Of course Frêllian wasn't looking at him. She was too busy listening to the two brothers and whatever tale they were telling her. So Bilbo turned his gaze to the others. Gloin and Bombur were chowing down their food, with Oin eating his portion at a normal pace. Then there was Bofur, Bifur and Nori who appeared to be in a heated discussion of some sort, while eating their meal while doing so. Ori was too busy drawing something in his sketchbook to eat and Dori was looking over his brother's shoulder. With a nod of approval every now and then as the dwarf inspected whatever the younger dwarf was drawing.
Now there were only three dwarves left and one of them was Frêllian's father. His face paled at the thought of the stoic dwarf watching him. More than once had Dwalin warned Bilbo that Frêllian was not a pet and that was before he revealed to be her father! What would the bald dwarf do if he was to find out Bilbo harboured more than just friendship for the ferian queen?
Slowly, Bilbo turned to his other side. Praying that it wasn't Dwalin who had seen him stare at Frêllian. The dwarf would probably skin him alive! And Thorin would not be too pleased either to see Bilbo glare at his nephew. No, if one of them had caught him, then please let it be Balin. At least the elder dwarf might go easy on him. Softly reminding him of Frêllian's duties as an alpha.
Bilbo quickly spotted the trio, standing a bit further away. But to his surprise, they seemed to be discussing something in hushed voices. Only once did Bilbo see Dwalin look in the direction of Frêllian, before turning back to face Thorin and Balin. But none of them seem to have noticed Bilbo. Which was odd, for he still had a feeling of being watched.
Suddenly Bilbo heard a low growling coming from behind him an he turned around quickly. Frêllian had noticed trouble! Her growling alarming the others as well and within seconds everyone had grabbed their weapon.
'Show yourself, if you want to live.' Bilbo was surprised to hear Frêllian's voice this demanding. The power it held matching that of Thorin. 'I will not warn again.'
'I am sure you won't.' The feminine voice that replied, held a hint of humour and four figures appeared from behind the trees. 'I have been told your bite is worse than your bark and I do not plan on trying to find out.'
'Frêlin Frêllian, sêgenett ist unsger trèfung.' (Lady Frêllian, blessed is our meeting)
By now, Frêllian was standing in front of the newcomers. A low growl still coming from her as she looked at the male that had spoken last. Judging from their appearance, these were ferien as well. Though Bilbo couldn't remember seeing them back at Rivendell. Were these members from a different pack? Or were these from Frêllian's old pack?
Bilbo watched on as Frêllian talked to the strangers in ferish. Though her growling had stopped her voice still remained demanding while speaking, her posture regal. Like a real alpha, he noticed in admiration. How could she sound this demanding, while looking as elegant as ever. Dangerous, but elegant.
'Thorin.' At the mention of his name, Thorin walked over to the small group. His arms crossed as he stopped next to Frêllian. 'They say they have news on the whereabouts of Azog.'
'Azog?'
One of the males nodded, before speaking again. He explained he had heard word of their alpha supreme having returned and about the run-in she's had with Azog. That was when he and his sister - the red-haired ferian who had replied to Frêllian's warning - decided to see if they could be of help.
'We found Azog and his pack not a day behind,' the female finished. 'They travel slower than a small pack of ferien, but faster than a pack of dwarves. I fear they will reach you sooner than you might know.'
'And how do we know you speak the truth?'
Frêllian glared at the dwarf.
'Drüsten was send by Gírla.' Gírla, now that's a name Bilbo remembered. She had been one of the ferien back in Rivendell. 'And I trust Gírla.'
With that said, the ferien and Thorin separated themselves from the others. Probably to talk about how to keep the distance between the pack and the company.