Chapter 10 :The Council Of Elrond

'' Strangers from distant lands, friends of old, you have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor ''announced Elrond.

Tauriel, sitting between Legolas and Gandalf, was carefully listening to the lord, like everybody around her. They were all looking at each other with mixture of curiosity and hatred, and she knew perfectly that Legolas was watching the dwarves with disgust.

'' Middle-Earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You will unite, or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate, this one doom'' he added, looking them, one by one.

He turned to the only hobbit of the council and, with a hand gesture, demanded him :

''Bring forth the ring, Frodo''

Arwen told her that Frodo, a hobbit from the Shire, has been hurt by a Nazgul, while he was trying to bring the ring to Rivendell. The brown-hair elf had taken him there enough quickly to his father too heal him, even if he will keep the blade's mark all his life.

The hobbit stood up timidly and walked to the stone table on the middle of the place. He put there the ring, before he came back to his chair.

For a instant, the red-hair felt that she was attracting to it, before pushing away those dark thoughts. Legolas had probably felt the same thing because he tensed next to her.

'' So it is true''whispered the man from Gondor.

They all looked at him while he stood up.

'' In a dream, I saw the eastern sky grow dark, but in the west a pale light lingered. A voice was crying : your doom is near at hand, Isildur's bane is found'' he said.

He was coming closer and closer to the ring, like he was attracted to it. A light of madness was shining in his eyes. She saw Elrond and Gandalf looking at each other, worry. The man came closer one more time...

'' Isildur's bane... ''

All of a sudden, the wizard stood up and screamed in the black language. The sky quickly became dark above their heads. They all had a short headache, but violent. The darkness lingered for a moment, before the sun came back to light them. Boromir, shocked, sat down, looking around him. Elrond, on his armchair, was holding his head with his hand.

'' Never before has any voice uttered the words of that tongue here in Imladris''.

''I do not ask your pardon, master Elrond, for the black speech of Mordor may yet be heard in every corner of the west'', answered Gandalf. ''The ring is altogether evil'', he added.

''This ring is a gift '' announced Boromir, pointing it with his finger.

Gandalf immediately turned to him, and looked at him like he was mad. It was not so false, in fact. The ring was attacking his mind. One could see it in his eyes.

''A gift to the foes of Mordor. Why not use this ring ?''

He began to walk in front of them, hitting the ground with his brown boots, watching them one by one. Tauriel saw that Aragorn was moving on his armchair. The man from Gondor was annoying him.

'' Long as my father, the Stewart of Gondor, kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood-type of our people, are your lands kept safe ! Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy. Let us use iy against him ! ''

'' You cannot wield it. None of us can'' the ranger said. ''The one ring answer to Sauron alone. He has no other master'', he added.

Boromir looked at him with superiority, before asking him :

'' And what would a ranger know of this matter ? ''

It was too much for Tauriel. She was about to stand up, but the blond prince did it before her.