Chapter 24 : Forth Eorlingas

At dawn, their enemies came back.

The men who had kept hope were barricading the door with everything they could find. Tables and chairs had been taken to be placed behind the doors, that were about to cede. But in the other side of the great hall, Theoden, him, had lost all hope.

The fortress was taken. It is over , he declared with a calm voice.

Aragorn came closer to the king to take a bench that would help to barricade the doors.

You said this fortress would never fall while your men defend it ! They still defend it ! They have died defending it ! yelled the ranger, irritated.

The king did not answer, and avoided Aragorns stare. The said kept talking, and at the same time, Tauriel helped Legolas to put a table against the gates. She was trying to avoid his gaze, even though she could feel his on her permanently. She was still trying to veil the truth . For a so long time it had been like that

Is there no other way for the women and children to get out of the caves ? asked Aragorn behind them. Is there no other way ?

There is one passage. It leads into the mountains. But they will not get far, the Uruk-Hai are too many ! answered a man who was closed to the king.

As to support his words, at the same time, the orcs tried to break the doors of the hall, that shivered under their assaults strength.

Tell the women and children to make for the mountains pass, and barricade the entrance ! said Aragorn.

The man stepped back toward the corridor that led to the caves, but he stopped when the kings voice broke the silence.

So much deathWhat can men do against such reckless hate ?

Behind them, the doors shivered. Tauriel felt it, as the others, that they were about to cede. They did not have much time before the orcs entrance. Men were already stepping bzck after each attack.

Ride out with meAragorn whispered.

Everyone one turned the head in his direction, frowning, and surprised. The red-hair elf had the same reaction. The king, him, looked at Aragorn as if he was mad.

Ride out and meet them, he added, a flame of pride in his gaze.

In front of him, the kings eyes shone with the same pride. He had understood what he had said. Theoden walked closer, his chin high again.

For death and glory, he declared, walking toward him.

For Rohan. For your people , Aragorn said.

Slowly, before the kings answer, the sunlight entered the great hall and illuminated the two men, in the center. The sun was finally there. And Tauriel was glad to know what that meant. She remembered perfectly Gandals words before he left, five days ago. They would have to look to the east.

The sun is rising , she made them notice, because they did not yet have see it.

They all shared a look, assured. Their backup was coming, and, soon, they would be in front of the gates of the Deep. And then, Tauriel was sure, nothing would stop them.

Yes ! Yes ! The horn of Helm Hammerhand shall sound in the Deep one last time ! Theoden said.

Yes ! Gimli yelled back, his axe raised up.

He ran up a stairway and got to the top of the Deep, and to its giant horn. the king approached Aragorn, and put his hand on his shoulder. The rangers gaze was illuminated, as the kings one.

Let this be the hour when we draw swords together, the king declared, proud.

Few seconds later, they all got up on their horses, that they had taken with them. Tauriel jumped on Fengels back, Legolas to her side, for once alone on his horse.