Chapter 19 : Edoras

''It cannot be'' Aragorn whispered next to her.

Indeed, even Tauriel could not believe that it was the real Gandalf who stood in front of them. They were all looking at him, surprised, because they did not believe in his return for days. Legolas knelt, and Gimli followed. Tauriel was too shocked to move.

'' Forgive me. I mistook you for Sarouman. ''

'' I am Sarouman. Or rather Sarouman as he should have been'', the wizard explained.

'' You fell'', Aragorn said frowning.

'' Through fire and water''Gandalf told them.

He explained to them how he beat the Balrog. He had fallen inthe shadows but the Valar had send him back to Middle Earth, to finish his task.

'' Gandalf'', Aragorn whispered while putting a hand on his shoulder.

''Gandalf ? Asked the wizard surprised, frowning. ''Yes, that was they used to call me. Gandalf the Grey. That was my name''.

'' Gandalf '', Gimli repeated happily.

'' I am Gandalf the white. And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide. ''

Tauriel smiled seeing the wizard's attitude. Gandalf was back, ready to help them, more strong and alive than ever.

**********

''One stage of your journey is over. Another begins. We must travel to Edoras with all speed'', announced Gandalf.

They had not lose their time after this strange but charming meeting, and they had directly followed the wizard through the forest, as in the time of the fellowship. They were walking to the sun, at the wood's entrance.

'' Edoras ? This is no short distance ! ''Claimed the dwarf in her back.

The noises of his axes were heard in the woods, as he hit him against the ground, like an old habit. Tauriel though a second that the trees would not be glad. But she did not tell to the dwarf her though. He did not seem comfortable in the forest, and he was always looking around him as a group of orcs was about to appear behind a tree.

'' We heard of trouble in Rohan. It goes ill the King'', Aragorn told Gandalf.

''Yes and it will not be easily cured'', answered the said.

''Then we have run all this way for nothing ? Are we to leave those poor little hobbits here in this horrid, dark, dank tree infested... Began Gimli.

''Gimli... '' she warned him, as the trees rumbled dangerously above their heads.

''I mean charming, very charming forest '', he said, trying to smile, but i t seemed more like a panic grimace.

'' It was more than mere chance that brought Merry and Pippin to Fangorn. A great power has been sleeping here for years. The coming of Merry and Pippin will be like the falling of small stones that start an avalanche in the mountains'', Gandalf said.

'' In one thing you have not changed, dear friend : you still speak in riddles'', declared Aragorn and Gandalf started laughing.

It had been a while since she had heard him laugh for the last time, and she was glad to know he was with them. The sound echoed a second in the woods, before falling silent.

''A thing is about to happen that has not happened since the elder days. The ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong. ''

''Strong ? Oh... that's good ! Gimli said, his hand on his axe.