Chapter 25 : The Fall Of Sarouman

When the sun reached its apogee in the blue sky, the riders arrived at the edge of the forest of Fangorn, that they had just crossed.

The day before had been a long day. A very long one. Tauriel had learnt the death of Haldir of Lorien, that had fallen from the walls of Helm's Deep while the king was screaming for the retreat. Indeed, she had not seen in when they were in the great hall, waiting for Gandalf, but she did not think about him at that moment. It was just when Aragorn had told her that she had faced the truth. And the sadness on the ranger's face was not lying.

Haldir of Lorien had left Middle Earth. The red-elf hair was sorrowful because of this sudden death, but she was also thinking about all the others who had given their life for Rohan.

She came out of her dark thoughts when she heard laughs in front of her. Fengel neighed and looked ahead, listening to these new sounds. She smiled, because she had immediately recognized the voices. It was Pippin and Merry, captured by orcs few days before. But they did not seem that shocked.

She left the woods to get in the open air, and to make a first step in Isengard. The two hobbits were sitting in a little wall, eating and smoking gaily  the pipe. As soon as they had looked up at them, the hobbits' eyes became wide open, and Pippin raised his pint towards them, while Merry was standing.

''Welcome, my lords, and my lady, to Isengard !'' he announced proudly, making a gesture in the direction of the tower behind him.

''You young rascals ! ''the dwarf screamed. ''A merry hunt you've led us on, and now, we find you, feasting and smoking !''

''We are sitting on a field of victory , enjoying a few well-earned comforts '', answered Pippin, who was still eating. '' The salted pork is particularly good'', he added, smiling.

''Salted pork ? ''Gimli repeated, dazed.

They all shared a smile, amused by the hobbits' attitude, even if it was true that they had well-earned their few comforts...   

''Hobbits'', Gandalf muttered, shaking his head.

''We are under orders, from Treebeard, who's taken management of Isengard'', declared Merry.

Gandalf muttered again, but this time, Tauriel did not heard what he was saying. The hobbits, happy to see their friends, came closer, and Pippin rode with Aragorn while Merry was going with Eomer, to go further into the great plain that was once Isengard. Now, the river had flooded everything, the water touching their horses' knees. They wre reaching the the tower when an ent walked toward them.

''Young master Gandalf, I'm glad you've come. Wood and water, stock and stone, I can master, but there is a wizard to manage here locked in his tower, ''he declared slowly.

''Show yourself'', whispered Aragorn.

''Be careful, even in defeat, Sarouman is dangerous'', Gandalf said.

''Well, let's just have his head and be done with it !'' Gimli offered.

''No ! We need him alive. We need him to talk, ''answered the white wizard.

Even if she would have loved to kill  him directly for all his horrible crimes, Tauriel knew Gandalf was right :  they needed Sarouman to talk, so they could learn all their enemies' projects.

''You have fought many wars and slain many men, Theoden King, and made peace afterwards. ''

They all looked up, to Sarouman, who had appeared suddenly at the top of his tower. He was watching them in a strange way, with pity. Tauriel was disgusted.