Chapter Five: Mending our hearts

I drove the guys to the subway with a very, incredibly quiet. Car ride. I put on music but it still made the silence feel so much louder
I was relieved when I finally dropped them off so I didn't have to feel so awkward.

I went Into town and got some more clothes, stuff for my room, and a dabble of furniture.
One of the good things about having a super villian of a father is that I get money whenever. He's basically like super rich from all of his villain stuff. He never tells me how he gets the money but I feel like there's only so many ways to get free money. I always feel awful to use the stolen money but we have it so might as well use it.

My father got a secret villian hideout somewhere  here in New York which means I get the home all to myself.

Once I wash my new clothes and set up some of the furniture I meal prep for the week then go upstairs to my room and write some letters.
This is something I do every week. I do some digging and find out everyone my father has hurt or even touched a hair of and send them a handmade card basically just sending love and wishing them well.
I vowed to myself when I was 13 that whatever damage my father ever does to the world, I would fix... or just put a bandage on that wound..

In the morning I wear one of my new outfits and sneak out my window so that I don't have to talk to my father about how my "mission" is going. I heard him screaming downstairs so I know he was already angry and I didn't want him to go all crazy on me.

I get to school and instantly head to class. I show up to my first class early. The classroom is empty and my teacher is sat at her desk drinking coffee.

"Apologize- I forgot that there's specific times for classes.. I'm still getting use to this"
I start to walk out but she stops me
"No it's all right. Sit down."
She said sternly and I questioned if that was an option or not.

I sat down in my seat and take out my Asgard book. I'm almost done with it and I just want it finished to move on to my next book. I got a lot of books yesterday.
"What book is that?"
My teacher asks and I hold up the book
"All about thor, Asgard, Loki, Odin, all that"
I explain to her and she nods slowly
"Are you a big reader?"
I shrug to her
"I guess. I don't have anything better to do so might as well invest in something worth looking into"

My teacher seems interested yet confused. I'm probably reading into her facial expressions too much.

She sits up straight and put her hands on her desk
"I bet your mother loves that. I know that my mom and all my old friends moms loved when their kids were readers"
I pause and try to think of a lie
But why should I lie about such a beautiful soul who I love so much. The only one I have to lie about is my father

"My mother died when I was young. But.. she did love that I read. She would always give me book recommendations even though she didn't know many good kids books. A-and we would go every Sunday to the bookstore after church it was so much fun."
I notice I have a big smile on my face, the one that would make your cheeks hurt if you kept the smile for too long
"She seemed wonderful"
Ms.Warren says just as the bell rings.

I like talking about my mom. It's like drinking a big cup of hot coco really fast; you know it's going to give you stomach ache but it just tastes so good.