Chapter Twenty Two: Fix the Broken

"Actually.. I was so busy planning it I never really got around to that part so..."
Liz says
"Uh.. do y-you want to go with me?"
Peter asks
"Yeah sure.."
Liz says back
I feel tears well up in my eyes like a pool.
She knows I like him..

My feet feel glued to the floor. I can't say anything. I'm just here silently crying listening to my- well my best friend and the guy I like who's also my friend.. listening to finding out he likes her and she doesnt even care..
I mean I get it she's beautiful and she can get with anyone she wants even if it's someone her friend likes..

Peter walks past me then he pauses and looks me up and down.
"You ok..?"

Liz comes over and tries to take my hand but I pull it away. This is what a nightmare feels like.

I wipe my face with my sleeve and nod
"I'm fantastic!"
I say and start marching away and catch Liz having a shocked face like she's forgotten I like Peter.

Peter follows me as I go out of the school.
"Vee. What happened?"

"I'm fine just.. just go back to class"
I say looking down trying not to cry again.
"Veronica. Please. What's wrong"
He says and I pretend I don't hear him
"Go back to class Parker."
I sit down on the steps sniffling

"Ya' know I was really happy about two seconds ago"
He says and I scoff
"Ok? You chose to follow me. Didn't know that I was the cause of your problems"

He sits down next to me and says nothing for a few minutes then he softly says
"I'm not going back to class until you tell me what's wrong"

I stand up and go to the door and of course he follows
"You really want to know?!"
I shout and he nods
"I'm in love with you, ok! And Liz knew and she still said that! I shouldn't have eavesdropped but she-she.. she didn't reject you. I wasnt going to say anything and let you two do whatever but you saw me.."

He looks stunned
"You like me..?"
He softly asks and I cross my arms nodding slowly
He gasps and under his breath says
"She likes me"

Then he gives me a funny look
"You don't just like me because you know.. about..."
He trails off and I step down closer to him
"Peter- no. I only figured out recently and the second we met I fell.. for you"

I groan thinking about how cheesy that sounded. He looks down at the ground then straight into my eyes, at me.
"Let's just go to homecoming together"
He says and I smile
"We did have the deal"
I remind him. He chuckles

"What about Liz?"
I quietly ask
"What about Liz..?"
He repeats confused

I glance at the door then say
"You like her and you asked her to homecoming"
"I think she'll manage to find someone else.."

We go back inside and he goes to do what he was doing and I go in the gym.
Liz ended up apologizing to me but I just let it go. She probably did forget and It wasn't my place to step into their convo.

She said that she probably wouldn't get a guy date and would just go with friends.
She then also offered that Peter get her dad to drive us. So I agreed.