Chapter Twelve: Something new

I stayed after class so one of my teachers could sort out my work. I passed by the office and saw Ned standing and looking over the corner of the office
"Whatcha doin..?"
I ask and awkwardly shrugs
"Nothin' really.."
"Okay.."
I just look at him trying to figure out what was going on.
"You good?"
He asks
"Mhm.."
I just decide to give up because Ned seems too awkward to talk
"I'm gonna.."
I start to say pointing to the door then just walk out

When I'm doing some homework Liz messages me
I was just in class and I saw your graded work on the teachers desk and omg are you a genius or something your scores are so good!

How do I respond to this
LOL yeah I guess so!

I forget that I have to pretend to be not smart but I haven't been doing that.. whoops

Then she texts me again
I was talking to Mr.Harrington and he'd love you on the academic decathlon team. Sooo wanna join?

What.. me..? How could they want ME.

OMG I'd love to!

The academic decathlon competition was tomorrow. Liz got me caught up all night on everything but she soon saw that I picked up quick and I knew almost everything needed to know.
She said one of the guys dropped out because of family matters so I was a perfect fit.

I packed and left a note for my father in case he cared at least the a little bit of where I was and met them in the morning.

We all stood in a sorta-line and talked. Liz introduced me to everybody and I adapted fast to them. Flash was still upset at me for punching him so he stayed far away from me.

I was given this yellow jacket which was our uniform and I had a weird attachment to it.

"Hey it's Peter"
Abe called out as Peter and Ned started to walk towards us.

Right they're on this team.. but I thought Liz said Peter quit.

"Peter..?"
I asked under my breath, looking at Liz who seemed equally confused.

"Um hey.. yeah.. I uh.. I was hoping I could rejoin the team"
Peter ask holding onto the straps on his backpack.

Flash emerged from the back of the line saying "No. no way. You can't just quit on us, stroll up, and be welcomed back by everyone"

Just as flash says that Mr.Harrington comes out of the bus and welcomes Peter back.

"What?"
Flash scoffs
"He's taking your place"
I say frowning and he rolls his eyes.

Peter goes up beside me as we all start to go into the bus per Mjs request.
"Your in this?"
He asks and I nod
"As of last night, yes."
Peter stays quiet for a few seconds then says
"It's nice to have a close friend besides Ned on this trip"

Close friend.. that's cool

"We barley talk.. we're close friends?"
I wonder out loud

We start to go into the bus as he says
"Well I think so.."

Our conversation is cut short by us being seated, him in the back me in the front.