23. A Homeless Man and Two Witches

Y/N's POV:

"I swear I left him right here." Loki spoke first as the three of us stood with our arms folded, staring at the digger clearing the rubble of a recently knocked down building..

"Right here on the sidewalk, or right there where the building is being demolished?" Thor's voice very monotone.

"I'm no detective but I don't think he's here anymore. Unless you want to go through the bricks?" I sighed, turning to look at the other two, who clearly did not see the funny side.

"Great planning." Thor stated, Loki taking the opportunity to glance at me as I cocked my head. Raking my eyes back over the pile of rubble, finally noticing the sign. I glared back at Loki in shock, as he raised an eyebrow as if to say this was my idea.

"Ohh no you don't. I was only joking when I said about the home. I never thought you would actually do it." I surrendered my hands in protest, trying to keep myself from laughing as the God's continued to stand side by side looking at what used to be Shady Acres care home. Loki sighed knowing he couldn't really blame me, but I knew he wasn't exactly going to blame himself either.

"How was I supposed to know? Can't see into the future. I'm not a witch." He concluded. I nodded my head in agreement, at least he was right about something.

"No? Then why do you dress like one? Both of you actually." Thor glanced between us, his comment full of humourless sarcasm.

"Hey!" Loki protested, but I wasn't arguing. With Loki dressed in an entirely black suit and me in a long off the shoulder green jumper, black leggings, some killer boots, and eyeliner sharp enough to kill a man, we definitely looked like an intimidating pair. I personally found Thor's words more complementary because against us he looked homeless. From nowhere, Thor sighed heavily, shifting between his feet awkwardly.

"I can't believe you're alive. I thought you were dead. I mourned you. I cried for you." The air felt uneasy and neither of us knew how to react and Loki's words about being honoured didn't seem to fit or even make up for half of it. Who had told him Loki ws dead?

It was then that I heard some girls giggling, gossiping between themselves "Ask him" one of them said to the other, encouraging her friend forward, pushing her towards us.

"Hi. Would you mind taking a picture with us?" Her tone was polite. All of us turned to watch as she grasped her phone in her hands, gazing up at Thor. Then it clicked. The Avengers were still kinda a big deal down here. Thor agreed, leaning in to pose with the excited women. Loki on the other hand rolled his eyes, turning to me, unapproving of the situation. He should be thankful they didn't recognise him, they might have run away screaming.

I chuckled, curling my fingers into Loki's hand, smiling up at my God. He shifted closer to me, melting into my side and giving me a smirk. Thor looked over towards us for a moment. "Start figuring out where he is." Before I got the chance to question how we were supposed to do that one of the girls turned to him with a sympathetic look across her face.

"Sorry to hear that Jane dumped you." I cringed at her words, although they were probably coming from good intentions, it didn't feel any less uncomfortable. The girls ran away giggling, leaving us a trio once again. Thor cleared his throat awkwardly.

"She didn't dump me, you know. I dumped her. It was a mutual dumping." Thor tried to explain, but all I could do was offer him a sad smile as Loki patted his shoulder nodding his head.

Suddenly a strange whooshing sound came from below us. In unison we all looked down to see a weird orange ring encircling Loki's feet; glowing and sparking. I gripped his hand tighter as Thor stepped to stand in front of him, but Loki began spinning forcing me to let go of his hand. "What's this? Wha... What are you doing?" Thor questioned trying to figure out what was going on. Loki looked up, arms extended attempting to balance himself. Shaking his head slightly.