19. Off with the King

Y/N's POV:

We continued till we reached Loki's chamber; it was pretty much abandoned just like we had left it, yet maybe somewhat slightly cleaner. Loki collapsed onto the bed with a groan, while simultaneously clicking his fingers and changing us back to our natural forms. Swiftly locking the door behind us, I turned back to talk to Loki, but as I opened my mouth I realised his body rising and falling peacefully; he had already fallen asleep. Stepping lightly across the room, an engraved skill of mine, I gently tugged the comforter over him; planting a delicate kiss on his brow.

After a moment it dawned on me that this would be the perfect opportunity to finally get cleaned up. Rummaging through the large wardrobe, I grabbed a towel from the closet, making my way into the adjoining bathroom and shut the door behind me. The room was huge, with slick porcelain tiled walls, the bath could at least fit three people. It was like a hot tub! Turning the taps, the tub began filling up, the room plunged into a cloud of steam.

I began peeling off my sweat and blood-soaked clothes; the smell horrifically foul. I'm surprised I hadn't noticed it sooner. Stepping in front of the mirror, using my hand I wiped off some of the condensation to look at my bruised and battered body. Despite everything, I've gotten worse. The black eye had already turned a not so flattering shade of greeny-yellow; it would be gone within a few days. There was a cut on my lip, but it didn't appear deep and its swelling wouldn't last. My body was littered with bruises with varying colours across my back and sides, mainly focussing around my shoulders and chest. If anything my body sung with nothing more than a dull ache, feeling stiff.

I eased myself into the bath. The initial burning heat made my body scream but it faded quickly, leaving me submerged in a hot, comforting embrace. Sitting on the side was a bottle of shampoo, it smelt refreshing, a blend of flowers and cotton, it smelt as fresh as the palace gardens. Delicately, I began removing all the grim from my body. It wasn't a pleasant sight, seeing the water turning from clear to murky in a matter of mere seconds. Prompt me to quickly exit the bath after that, instead wrapping the fluffy towel tight to my body, and ungracefully shoving my hair up on top of my head in some messy bun.

Peeking out the door I could see Loki still peacefully snoozing, less than elegantly on the bed. Yet on the chair by the fireplace was a neat pile of clothes, being warmed; the sweet gesture brought a stupid smile to my face. Retrieving the clothes and clutching them to my towelled body I tip-toed back into the bathroom, looking over the light material. It was a dress, which made me grit my teeth. It had been so long since I had worn a dress and I had definitely never worn something that was this fancy or high class before.

I slipped on the cream coloured dress over my head, it had one shoulder strap made of pure gold chain and flowed all the way down to the floor. The gold material continued around the top edge of the dress and created some diagonal lines across my chest to the belt, which sat across my mid-section; the chain creating two decorative loops that effortlessly hung down my shoulder. Sitting by the sink was a golden cuff, large enough to hide the red marks Thanos had so kindly left on my wrist. Staring at myself in the mirror, I anxiously tightened the belt ribbon around my waist. All I could think was how out of place I felt; the person looking back at me wasn't who I was. That's because you don't deserve such nice things. The distant voice continued to taunt me and laugh as I glared at myself, growling. Yes I do, I've been through enough already. Pushing her away, I returned to the main room, discreetly making my way back towards the fire-place.

With a wave of my hand the dwindling flame, reignited into a crackling fire. Just as I went to stand back, my feet caught in the dress; throwing me off balance and landing back down on the floor with a thump. Grumbling a stream of curse words under my breath, I slowly twisted round, checking if I had woken Loki or if he had seen. Thankfully he still appeared to be asleep. Searching for my feet under the fabric I managed to push myself up and off the floor, making my way to the bookshelf; might as well do something while I wait for sleeping beauty.