2. Sleepless Nights

Y/N's POV:

The air was thick, clouding my vision. Screams echoed around me, I opened my mouth to call out but there was no sound. Heavy black vapour immediately assaulted my wind pipes, coating the back of my throat. Suffocating my lungs. Flames licked at my arms. It burns! I clung to the paper clenched tightly in my fist. Protecting it. Tears quickly evaporated before they could even leave my eyes as if they were nothing. The pained cries got louder, hammering down the door. Ash filled my body as the room got hazy. Eye's blinking rapidly, as the fire grew higher still. The door flew open as a hand reached in. A pair of hungry eyes, peering through the flames. Singed fingers flying forward. Sharp talons at the ready. Ripping through my body...

My eyes shot open, my body jolting itself awake. With every shaky breath I tried to gulp down as much air as possible. Coughing as if I still had ash on my tongue. Heart pounding away in my chest as I tried to focus on the scuff marks that covered my boots next to me. Fingers absentmindedly twiddling with the necklace hanging around my neck. Pulling myself into a sitting position I leaned my head against the wall, keeping all of my focus on my breathing. Slowly, very slowly relaxing my body. All the time reminding myself that nothing can hurt me anymore. She can't hurt me anymore. Closing my eyes I sighed, trying to hold back tears.

"Bad dream?" A voice called across to me, I smiled not opening my eyes. Still holding my necklace in the palm of my hand. I paused thinking if I wanted to respond or not. Realising I'd prefer to be distracted than attempt to sleep again; I cleared my throat of leftover anxiety. Swiftly using my sleeve to dry up any tears that had escaped.

"Spying on me, Your Majesty?" I grinned as I heard the young prince chuckle from his cell. Slowly I reopened my eyes, letting my head fall forward to look across at him. He was casually sitting in his chair not even watching me, but with his head deep inside the pages of his book instead. Pushing my body onto my feet, grabbing the thin blanket I had been thrown halfway through the night I wandered over to the golden force-field. Wrapping the blanket around my shoulders and pulling it tight around me I curled up on the floor; resting my head against the golden shield. "What are you reading?" I asked, shifting my gaze to look across at the prince.

"Macbeth." he replied, not even looking up from his book as his fingers delicately turned the page.

"Look like th' innocent flower, but be the serperant under 't" I quoted as Loki slowly peeked over the top of the book and raised an eyebrow at me. A small smirk playing across his lips.

"You have read it?" he could not hide the joy and slight surprise in his voice as he asked. I couldn't help my smile as it grew wider.

"Once, for school, in English class." Loki chuckled, picking up a bookmark from the table beside him and gently tucking it inside his book. Closing it up before placing it on the table as he leaned further back into his chair.

"So you are from Midgard then?" he smirked, "You sound as if you did not enjoy it?" he continued, while locking his fingers together on his lap as I considered his question for a moment.

"Not when I had to memorise quotes and analyse every word, no." I paused as Loki nodded his head slightly in agreement. "But it carried many intriguing themes that seem to run parallel with my life. As I continue to live a tragedy, very much like the play. I just hope I don't end up like Lady MacBeth." I scoffed at the last bit, thinking back through past events. Taking a moment to collect my thoughts, I glanced out at the other cells. It was dark but I could just about make out the faint silhouettes of the other slumbering men. "How come you're still up?" I turned back to Loki as he watched me from across the room.

"The very same reason you are awake now" his voice seemed a lot quieter than before, more melancholy. I gave him a sad smile as I readjusted my position; somehow shrinking the gap between me and the shield even more.

"You suffer from nightmares too?" Loki nodded slowly "What are they about?" but this time he didn't respond or move his head. I thought maybe I had crossed a line already, asking such a personal question. Instead he simply stood from his chair, picking up his book as he casually moved across to his book shelf. Carefully sliding the play back into the gap it had been taken from originally.

"I fear if I told you about them, you would sleep even less. I don't believe you need that on your conscience." he turned and gave me a shy smile, but his voice was stern. Clearly this was not a subject to try and challenge him on further. Loki didn't return to his seat like I expected him to, alternatively he chose to sit on the floor; back flat against the wall with his legs stretched out in front of him. Body pressed against the shield, very much mirroring my previous body language from yesterday. I sighed to myself, pulling the blanket in closer to my body, to the point where you could begin to believe someone was giving you a hug. Yet I sadly knew it just wasn't the same. "You still haven't told me your name Darling." Loki spoke, bringing me back with a slight jolt, but he had said it with such ease that I couldn't, not smile once again.

"Y/N" I replied, as the young prince glanced over me. He hummed in satisfaction, as if turning my name over in his mind.

"What a beautiful name you have Y/N." there was a certain warmth in his voice when he said my name that made my cheeks flush. I was thankful for the low lighting and distance between us at that moment.

"I think I prefer Darling." I replied casually, almost stunned by my own forwardness. What was I doing? Was I trying to flirt with the God of Mischief? This had never happened before. I could hear Loki chuckling to himself, clearly amused by my own surprise and inner self conflict.

"I shall have to remember that." he smirked as he locked eyes with me, which felt almost impossible. He seemed to consider something before speaking again. "May I ask you a question Y/N." I raised a hand, gesturing for Loki to continue accompanied with an agreeing nod. "You don't seem unhappy here. I mean not only have you just been thrown into prison, with a life sentence, but you're surrounded by disgusting male creatures who all want to disrespect you one way or another. Why is it that you can still smile and remain seemingly at peace?"his voice felt like butter as he delicately tried to put together each part. I hummed in subtle amusement.

"Because I've been in a prison much worse. Now come on, young Prince and God of Mischief... I'm sure you've got some entertaining stories to share." I teased, trying my best to move focus away from my personal history. As Loki considered my proposition, my eyes watered slightly as I struggled to hold back a yawn. Just as I was rubbing my eyes, Loki turned back and slowly nodded. Grabbing the blanket, which had earlier slipped down, I shuffled into a comfier position, bringing my knees in closer. Finally letting go of the necklace and any leftover anxiety I had spent clinging onto.

"I'll start by telling you a personal favourite, which just so happens to be one out of the many times when I tricked Thor into..." as Loki began painting the picture of his childhood with his brother. I focussed on the way he spoke and the way his face would light up at certain points or when he turned to look at me with a dorky smile on his face. It radiated a certain warmth within me and for the first time in ages I felt safe. Safer than I'd ever been. Thanks to Odin's bad parenting I finally felt like I had a friend.