069

Dean kicks the door open and barrels inside, Sam right behind him. I, however, walk in like a normal person, stepping up next to Dean after closing the door. There in the kitchen stood Max and his stepmother, looking at us with perplexed expressions, and you could tell they were clearly in the midst of an argument before we barged in.

"Way to make an entrance." I mutter loudly enough so only Dean can hear me. He doesn't say anything, too busy assessing the situation.

"Fathers? Sister Cecelia?" Alice says questionably, clearly puzzled by our presence. I force a tight-lipped smile on my face, trying to seem friendly.

"What are you doing here?" Max asks. His eyes were pooling with unshed tears, cheeks and nose tinted pink.

"Uh...sorry to interrupt." Dean manages to get out awkwardly.

"Max, could we, uh...could we talk to you outside f-for just one second?" Sam asks, taking small steps forward. Max assesses the three of us.

"About what?"

"It's—it's private. Um, I wouldn't want to bother your mother with it. We won't be long at all though. I promise." Max and his stepmother share a glance as he thinks of his answer for a few seconds. Sam, Dean, and I just smile at him  encouragingly.

"Okay." He finally whispers.

"Great." Max stands there for a moment longer before forcing himself to walk in our direction. With the air tense, we walk back to the door. Dean reaches over me to open the door for me and I go to smile up at him only for the door to slam shut again. Then, all the blinds on the windows start to close, one by one. I whip around to look behind me and see Max backing up slowly with a blank look on his face.

"What the-"

"You're not from a church!" Max accuses, anger and fear starting to seep through his features. Dean immediately reaches for his gun but it gets yanked out of his hands by an invisible force as soon as he pulls it out of his pocket. Max ducks down to pick it up off the floor so Dean tries to use that moment of distraction to tackle him but Sam and I hold him back. When Max stands straight again, he shakily aims the gun at him.

It made me nervous, and I rarely get nervous, but I'm sure this kid has never even held a gun before, which means he could probably end up squeezing the trigger without even meaning to. I tried putting myself in front of Dean to be some sort of lame body shield but he wasn't having it. He quickly pushes me back behind him and holds onto me to make sure I don't move. I grab a hold of his jacket and grip it tightly, pressing our bodies together.

If he was getting shot, so was I.

"Max, what's happening?!" Alice exclaims, completely lost as to what is going on.

"Shut up!" I peek my head around Dean's body and see Max's eyes about to pop out of their eye sockets at how wide they were.

"What are you doing?" She asks. One second she is trying to walk closer to him, and then the next she's being flung by an invisible force, hitting her head on the island in the kitchen. She gets knocked out cold immediately.

"I said, shut up!" Max yells through gritted teeth.

"Max, calm down." Sam says quickly.

"Who are you?!" Max waves the gun at us. Dean pushes me back fully behind him, eyes trained on the gun.

"We just want to talk to you."

"Yeah, right! That's why you brought this!"

"That was a mistake, alright? So was lying about who we were, but no more lying, Max, okay? Just, please, just hear me out."