White Christmas

(AU) It's Christmas Eve, 1918. A Christmas ball, a handsome stranger.

-

December 24, 1918

Sparkling chandeliers hanging from the high ceiling, the light reflecting in the polished gold of the embellished columns that lined the walls and accentuated the staircase majestically, the heavy drapes pulled up by the windows, illuminated and shimmering as the flames of the candles on each table danced, the ballroom had transformed into the perfect setting for the magical night you hoped one wouldn't so soon forget.

The room was slowly filling with more and more people as you felt the anticipation rise inside you, thrilled that the event looked out to become a success. You recognised quite a few important faces instantly, and you knew they meant business, leaving you hopeful to raise a good sum tonight.

You, along with the other women at your foundation, had worked for weeks, months to make this event possible, planning, inviting, networking, raising money and now, the night was finally here. And even though everything seemed to be going according to plan, you couldn't shake that anxiety, that fear that in at least one crucial moment, something would go wrong.

But there was only so much you could do now, nothing really but watch closely to be sure to notice issues before anyone else in order to prevent them in advance, keep an eye on everything and overlook the event and make sure you would really reach your goal tonight, would really make everyone see the vision you'd had in mind when planning this event.

It wasn't just about raising money to support the war returnees and their families and the families no one had returned to. It was also about appreciating their service, making them feel welcome in their return to the community, give them a chance to – no matter their circumstances – have the Christmas they deserved.

Women in beautiful gowns, more businessmen in expensively tailored suits, brave soldiers entered the warm space from the cold, faces flushed as they warmed up, their eyes wide, gleaming with wonder when they took in the extravagance of the ballroom dipped into a golden light. Some were already starting to sway gently to the music the live ensemble was playing. You had managed to get an extraordinary singer for tonight, knowing it would be one of the finest aspects of entertainment of the evening. Already though, the way the guests' heads turned, they stopped to admire the setting, it filled you with joy and a sense of great pride because you'd managed to make the most of the resources you'd been given for tonight.

Soon, all the guests had found their tables and you went to sit at one in the front with the other women from your foundation, one of your friends to your right instantly taking your arm and leaning over to you. "You don't look like you're enjoying yourself. It is looking so good."

You smiled, shaking your head to ease her mind. "I am enjoying myself, I assure you. And I'm aware it looks good, I'm delighted. But something might still go awfully wrong..."

"Oh, always the perfectionist, aren't you? Everything is going to be quite alright" she said confidently, giving you a reassuring nod. "We've thought of everything, thought out everything that could possibly go wrong, and we set in motion all possible precautions. Please, my dear, you deserve to enjoy this night too."

You breathed out shakily, trying to internalize her words because you knew she was right, you'd worked hard, and you could still enjoy the evening even if you had to keep an eye out to make sure that everything was going smoothly.

Once everyone was seated, the music slowed, decreased in volume and paused, as soon as the president of your foundation took the small stage that was decorated with artificial sparkling snow, situated at the far end of the large room, all the round tables facing it and the quiet conversation and laughter subsided. It never took much for her to have a full room's undivided attention, especially now in her ruby red dress with golden embroidery on the fabric over her chest and a hint of golden satin material covering her shoulders, she drew everyone's gaze effortlessly.