tacenda

Solstice by Yeek

Scottsdale, AZ
Saturday June 7th
Mindy Manor | MM

"Yo, M?" Mindy turned in her chair at her desk to see who was at her door.

It was one of her brothers friends, he had his friend over again however Mindy presumed they'd all remain downstairs.

"Hello Ivan." Mindy said politely before swivelling back in her chair, she begun writing down the answer to the practice paper she was doing however she turned on her chair again still feeling eyes on her.

"I-is there anything I can help you with, Ivan?" Mindy asked not wanting to indulge in a conversation with the man, "I really need to complete this work, it's really important."

"Just wanted to say hi," Mindy got a weird feeling from Ivan but decided to shake it off.

"Alright." Mindy turned in her chair for the final time and pushed her reading glasses up her nose.

Mindy has amblyopia (lazy eye(amblyopia is the proper medical term)) in her left eye and so she has to wear her pretty psychedelic purple glasses for when she is doing work.

"Describe five factors that may affect a child's physical development," Mindy repeated the question slowly to herself before beginning to tap her pen on the paper, "okay so prematurity, culture, gender, prenatal care or lack thereof, mother in taking drugs whilst pregnant, that's five right?" Mindy repeated them all again and nodded moving onto the next question.

"List five abnormalities of urine which may indicate a change in a patients condition." Mindy found that when she repeated the question aloud slowly to herself it made more sense, "okay this is simple you've been preparing for this for literal years Minds: dark brown urine, tea-coloured urine. Wait stop thats a five mark question I probably have to explain why." Mindy was at a lost now, she didn't know whether the five marks would be granted for naming all five or naming all five and why.

"No because that would be silly Mind." One thing about Mindy's stutter is she could easily speak to herself; she reckons that's because she's been speaking to herself all her life due to lack of companions or anyone else to communicate with, so she's stuck with her and her thoughts.

"Okay let's get on with this, five urine abnormalities that display a change in patients behaviour, no sorry, condition are the following: tea-coloured urine, dark brown urine, milky urine, urinary incontinence, does urethral diverticulum count?" Mindy asked herself, "I'll put that anyway. Okay but that's only four so another one could be red or white blood cells in urine." Mindy smiled proudly as she finished the final question.

"You're so intelligent, I can't believe it." Mindy dropped her pen and turned around questioningly only to face Oceania and Anika along with her older cousin.

"Hey, Mindy. What you doing?" Mindy desperately wanted to be alone however I guess she just wasn't that lucky.

"Um nothing I was just doing this mock exam paper." Oceania, Ari and Anika made themselves welcome in the comfort of her bedroom.

"Oh that's wassup." Oceania and Anika kicked off their shoes and sat on Mindy's bed.

Ari sat on the bean bag in the corner and Mindy looked at them all like they were mad.