redamancy

Guarding The Gates by Ms. Lauryn Hill

Glendale, AZ
Thursday June 5th
Samir Cadaver | Sage

When Samir finally woke up, much later than usual, he immediately wanted to go back to sleep.

Something like that had never occurred before.

Samir also awoke to multiple phone calls and messages, none to which he thought he would respond to due to lack of want.

Cadaver sat up and looked around his dark black room, his eyes fixated on a frame of him and Soraya: it was them in front of this art exhibition when he was sixteen, that was when he truly started experiencing with his art gift.

He remembered walking around the room and every second or so Soraya would bend down and explain one of the paintings.

His favourite painting had to of been 'memento mori' by Ashley Czajkowski. Samir researched her when he went home, he analysed her art work, her methods, her passions, what made her the artist she was and what made her art the way it was.

Her artwork often portrays decay and death and that was a major question that remains on Samir's mind to this day.

A vibrating sound snapped Samir out of his thoughts as he shook his head and searched for his phone between the sheets.

He pulled it from the charging wire and answered the call without looking at the caller ID and pressed the phone to his ear.

"You had us all worried sick, Samir." Was the first thing he heard from Soraya's monotone voice.

Samir didn't respond and she continued, "Can you come over please, I'd like to speak with you."

Samir didn't like how she just requested his presence and expected him to come.

"I'm not forcing you to come, I can come to you if anything. But i'd like to have a conversation with you face-to-face." Samir hung up once she finished her sentence and threw his phone carelessly somewhere on the bed.

He didn't want to deal with absolutely anyone right now and refused to, so being the responsible adult he was he dropped back into bed and fluttered his eyes close.

Twenty minutes away from him Soraya was nibbling at her fingernails worrying.

"Baby, he's a grown man. Relax." Hezekiah said for the third time, "y'all need to give that man a break, you're driving him away."

"Don't say that Adriel because that's not how it is."

"Doesn't matter about what it is it's about what it can be perceived as, and what I'm perceiving is that y'all are treating that man like he can't breathe without support."

"No i'm not." Soraya mumbled.

"Look baby, you've done a lot for Samir; I'm sure he is very grateful for it, for you and everybody. However you need to know when to take a step back, because you guys don't let him do nothing."

"What are you talking about?" Soraya said as she scrunched her face up.

"Adrienne told Addison who told Jalen about what happened when they were discussing Acacia's birthday and what they were going to do for it. Did you know Gianni has a key to that mans house and just lets herself up in that bitch?"