duende

u by Kendrick Lamar

Glendale, AZ
Friday July 21st
Samir Cadaver | Sage

"You're so talented," Mindy said as she stood at the doorway of Soraya's art studio with Ciara beside her.

"Hey mommy." Ciara walked over to her mother and sat in between her legs, despite how old Ciara was she loved her mother and she'd always crave her warmth.

Family meant absolutely everything to her and Soraya taught her that.

"You too, Ray." Soraya thanked her as she finished drawing her painting whilst Mindy wrapped her arms around Samir's neck.

Despite him sitting down she was the same height as him.

"Hello my beautiful." Soraya kissed her daughters hair.

"I'm going to take out my stitch braids, can you help please ma?" Soraya nodded and stood to her feet pulling her daughter up with her.

"We'll catch up at some other point M." Mindy nodded as the mother-daughter duo walked out the room.

Mindy walked in front of Samir and plopped into his lap, she looked ahead at his painting and then up at him as his gaze remained fixated on his artwork.

"Can you explain it to me?" Samir nodded as he stretched his hands so they were in front of Mindy and she could see them. He dropped the paint brush into the water pot and rubbed his hands together.

Samir had painted an abstract artwork of an ensemble of different faces, colours and organic textures. This demonstrated love, relationships, issues, pain and virtue.

'It shows the difference in everybody deemed similar'

"It looks so simple but articulate, like there's just such a bigger picture than all the different colours." Samir nodded resting his hands in Mindy's lap, "how long have you been painting for?"

'Since I was eleven, Soraya introduced me to it as a way to show my emotions through my artwork'

"That's so kind of her." Mindy said with a smile as she looked over at Soraya's work, "what does hers mean?"

'Whilst we paint we don't really talk at all and we don't tell each other about our work till we're done but it could be perceived as the strength of a woman or of women and how they don't let anything deter them from their goal and how strong they are' Soraya painted an acrylic painting of half of a woman's face and then other objects painted everywhere on the canvas, swirls, lines, splashes etc.

"She's so dexterous, you too. Everybody in this family gets their skills from her: Montana can cook he told me that he grew up watching his mama cook, Nahmir is so kind and helpful and he really loves love which is unlike a lot of men in this day in age."

'Jalen is also like that, when you are raised in a happy home with two loving parents you will obviously want a relationship as such' Mindy nodded.

"My parents 'loved' each other but they were extremely toxic and still are, at least they've never cheated on each other though well at least to my knowledge."

'What's your relationship like with your brother?' Mindy sighed.

"Well as you saw pretty toxic, he's controlling and it's weird Id understand if I was like a teenager or something but I'm twenty three years of age. It's just weird how like possessive he can be."