Ch.3 Daily Life Part 3: Of Spoons, Schisms, and Salvaging

Yuu

"Two queens," Bisque announces, voice cracking ever so slightly.

"BS," I call.

"Crap." He sighs, picking up the pile and dramatically increasing the size of his hand.

"One king," Tozen plays.

"Three aces," Azumi smirks, as if daring anyone to contradict her. I look at Bisque before playing: if anyone can definitively call her, it'd be the person with half the deck. But he just shrugs.

"Three twos," Bisque plays. I buy it.

I'm getting dangerously close to winning, and I'm honestly astonished they haven't called me in a while. Granted, I've held my hand under the table, like people should when playing BS, but if they counted, they'd know I only have four cards left. I feel bad for doing this, but I'm lowkey using this as a chance to sus out some of their tells in case they ever try to lie about anything important. Not that I think they would, but if I learned anything from the last trial, it's to cover your bases. Have faith in your own intuition, and be ready to accept any potential outcome... even painful ones.

Now, it's not like I'm a deception specialist or anything. I'm prone to jumping the gun and assuming the worst, and I'm well aware of that. So this is interesting. I've been trying to only call when it's not too risky for me, but I've gotten that itch quite a few times over the course of the game. God, ever since Fujiko compared feeling violated to feeling itchy, we've all come to understand exactly what she meant by that. It's almost hilarious.

Speaking of Fujiko, she enters the game room. "Oooh!" She looks over everyone's shoulders one at a time and giggles mischievously as we all covertly show her our cards.

"One three," Tozen puts a card down. He purses his lips a tiny bit. Is it worth it trying to call on eight when his progress is so slow? Eh, they might try to call me on it once Azumi's done, just to stop me from winning, and I definitely don't have any fives.

"BS," I blurt out before Azumi can ruin it by putting down cards.

"Take 'em," he defies. I sigh, accepting my defeat and grabbing the pot. Fortunately, it seems Azumi WAS lying about three aces, so I have a five to play once she puts down a four.

"Can we switch to Spoons after this? I like that game a lot more," Bisque complains.

"Spoons? Can I play with you guys?" Fujiko asks with a wink. "We can use pretty hair clips! I have a ton!"

"Of course! What reason would we have to refuse you? The more the merrier, as the saying goes," Azumi welcomes.

Before we can even finish our round, however, Kana peaks her head in. "There you are! Wanna do some personal grooming? We could like, braid each other's hair and cute shit like that!"

To everyone's surprise, Fujiko actually pauses to think about it. "Ummm, maybe a little later. I'm gonna play Spoons with these guys right as soon as they're done!"

"You could join us, Kana," Tozen offers.

"Huh? Oh. No thanks. Reflex games aren't really my style. See you later, guys!" And with that, she dips. It could be that my suspicions are in overdrive, considering the game, but I find this whole thing incredibly strange. Kana... a professional dancer who has shown to be pretty damn competitive... says reflex games aren't her thing.

Surprisingly enough, though, it seems Tozen agrees with me. "Fujiko, did something happen?"

"No? I dunno what you mean," she drawls. "I'll probably swing by later and hang out with her, but I super wanna play games with you guys! You all seem really cool and I haven't spent enough time with you!"