Ch.1 Daily Life Part 2: Of Moonbeams, Milkshakes, and Motives

[A/N] Edited slightly as of 12/3/22

Nari

I lay down straight on the grass, pinching bits and pieces of it between my fingers. It's a tad sharp, but not so dry that it seems damaged. I take a bite of a chocolate protein bar I got on my shopping haul. Meh. Could be worse. It's a bit chalky though, texturally speaking. The air is cool, somehow still circulating and crisp despite the fact that we're locked in. This doesn't quite give me the same thrill as actually being outdoors does. You know the hypothetical about someone learning everything about color but living in a black and white room? That's what this feels like.

I close my eyes for a bit, and then feel a light nudge. I turn my head and see Ren laying beside me. "So I see you came. Relatively promptly, too."

"And I brought a midnight snack. Wanna taste?" he winks flirtatiously.

"Did you actually, or are you making a kissing joke? Because food is much more appealing to me."

"Both, of course." He sits up and shows off a plate with some Ikinari dango.

"Sick, thanks. These are actually one of my favorites. Better than this crappy bar, at least," I comment, closing up the wrapper and stuffing it in my pocket.

"Really? Dang. I would say I found out just for you, but it was honestly a lucky guess. Does that mean I can call you Ikinari? It goes well with your name."

"Whatever. Not like I can stop you. In fact, you would not be the first." I take one of the buns. It's warm to the touch and the smell of yellow sweet potato is delightfully cozy.

"Wow. I think that's the first time I've seen you open-mouth smile this whole time."

"You never saw it," I threaten gently. He laughs.

"Would you mind showing me around the garden?"

"Sure. Granted, I've only been here for a day... but I've spent a good 90% of today in here, so I guess I'm more qualified for tours than anyone else." I stand up and immediately start walking. If he's so interested, he'll keep up. He does. He rises almost instantly and rushes to catch up to me.

"Dang, you walk fast."

"Long legs. Long strides. Quick pace," I explain nonchalantly, biting into the bun again. I walk him through some rows of flowers. "I may not be as competent as Hachi or even Keiji is in regards to these guys, but I do find them pretty. I could probably name at least half of these."

He pulls out a flashlight and aims it at the blooms. Despite the moon shining at practically full strength, it's a reasonably helpful addition. "I don't get to see a whole lot of these. Except for in paintings. And when adoring fans toss them at me," he smirks.

"Lemme guess. Red roses. Gag," I roll my eyes.

"Judgey. What's your favorite, then, if you have such good taste?"

"Let me see if they have any here." I swipe the flashlight from him and start to jog a little bit, searching for the signature hue.

"You're starting to get a bit far away. You do know where you're going, right?"

"We're in a contained place and I have a good sense of direction. Don't be such a baby. Aha! C'mere." He runs up to me. "Blue anemones."

"I see. They're just like you."

"You think you know me enough to say that?"

"Well, I know the way you present yourself, whether it's real or not," he announces with an unwarranted confidence.