Ch.6 Deadly Life Part 11: Of Choices

Yuu

I'm scared. I'm sure that's not a surprise to anyone, but I think it's warranted now. Kana and Monterio are alive. So is Bisque. Keiji. Sayuri. Everyone else. And it just feels too good to be true. These choices are gonna suck. I'm absolutely certain. We got off too easy considering how massive and terrible this whole set-up is. And I can't let myself off the hook, either.

Hibiki tosses Monokuma aside. It's foreboding, cause Monokuma has been a major threat and an imposing figure for months, and now he just gets chucked away with zero effort. Without Hibiki, Monokuma is just a plushie with a metal skeleton. The Mastermind stands on the table, gracefully avoiding our piles of evidence. He towers over us now, and it makes my breaths shake. "Option one. We go with our original Plan A."

"And what's that?" Fujiko asks.

"Well... I'm sure you all will be rather pleased to hear... none of this is being broadcasted live. And the time that's passed in the real world is much shorter than the time that's passed here."

"Like how our fear simulations can feel like they take hours when they only really take like twenty minutes?" Ren points out.

"Exactly! What a smart cookie. You've all been gone a month. We planned for that. In the real world, nobody is alarmed at all!"

Azumi tilts her head. "Is that why we believed this program was to last a month? Documentation– and Wakumi's recollection of her captain's experience– indicates that the original program was shorter. A weekend in the past, and possibly a week for us."

"Double correct! Wow, you guys are getting really good at this!" It's terrifying how quickly he can go from his cynical, nihilistic nightmare self back into the doting, praise-filled facade.

"But that's impossible, right? We have letters from our loved ones talking about being visited by Monokuma. They're clearly aware that the reason we're gone isn't fair play," I point out, showing off the messages we got a while ago.

Hibiki's response is to step on the letters, bending at the waist to stare me down. I flinch, and honestly, it's even enough to make Fujiko shudder, too. "C'mon. Think a little harder and you'll see why that's a non-issue. I believe in you." I turn my head to face her and block my profile with my hands defensively. What does he want from me? I can't think when he's this close. It turns my thoughts into moths. What does that even mean?! Breathe, Yuu. You have to breathe.

Chimon is the one who answers. "Monterio's tip asked how those messages were made... I've been wondering about that for hours now. We have samples of handwriting because of those letters of recommendation, and every sender matches up. Assuming White Daisy Room has a decent enough forger on board, they could've consulted us for the actual content. I know what my parents would've said to me, and it lined up pretty damn well with what I got."

"And there we go. Chimon, I bet you were the type of student teachers had to ignore because you'd answer every question if they let you." He shifts uneasily in response. "Now that we're caught up to speed, Option one, good ol' Plan A. We reach the 'end state' of the simulation that we planned out. Meaning, just like the latest seasons of Danganronpa, we have two or fewer original participants remaining. I'll have to execute all but two of you. It will hurt, and it will hurt bad, but we'll have finished this smoothly. Everyone will wake up just like you do at the end of the fear simulations, including your 'dead' friends. The simulation will then start airing live, and according to your contracts– yes, I had you sign contracts– you won't be able to stop it. The ones of you who are supposed to be dead? Gonna go into hiding. Forever. Or change your entire identities, depending on what you prefer. But hey! Everyone is alive and safe!"