Ch.4 Daily Life Part 5: Of Reassurance, Reprobation, and Revelation

Monterio

I run my hand along the metallic letters: WDR. We barely found any information, considering we had no idea what to be looking for. There are hundreds if not thousands of books in the library, and the Warehouse, though lucrative when it comes to finding pretty much anything, isn't the most organized place in the world. What we know is that it's highly, highly unlikely that a single person could pull off all of this, so WDR is probably either a wealthy family/group of families, or an organization. With an acronym like that, it sounds more like the latter.

I know that I won't be the only person to give this a shot. Ideally, it would be smart to check out conversations from multiple people, including your strongest ally and the person you know the least. If I'm being honest, though, I'm not feeling particularly keen on finding out if anyone secretly dislikes me. It's stupid, I know, since that information could keep me alive in this situation, but being here is exhausting, and my goal since the end of the third trial has just been to keep myself and my friends as happy as possible. I wouldn't normally promote blissful ignorance, but if there's any place for it, it's probably here.

"Has Kana talked about me?" I ask, though it's more of a rhetorical question.

"Obviously. We have several conversations with Fujiko, one with Ren, and one with Gou on file."

"Just pick a random one with Fujiko," I request. With that, I take the pliers into my hand and stare at my other one. Okay. Okay, I'm really doing this. I take an anticipatory breath as I align the pliers with my pinky nail, shut my eyes tight, and yank. I yell out and cuss loudly; it's like opening a can of straight agony. I take out the water bottle, antibacterial cream, and bandages that I prepared ahead of time. But before I can do anything to tend to myself, a group of medical Moninu take care of it for me. After the pain rolls from, "Fuck me, I'm gonna die," to, "Ow, shit, 8/10 on the pain radar," I drop the nail into the box.

He shows me a phone with a single app on it, clicks it, and scrolls through files until he finds the one he wants. He then locks it on the one screen and hands it (and a pair of earbuds) to me. I plug them in and press play, closing my eyes in anticipation.

"So, I never did properly apologize to you for the schism. I'm really sorry, Fujiko. I was unfair to you. Your feelings were yours to handle, and I really shouldn't have insisted that you do things my way."

"It's okay! Honestly, I really should've just talked to you guys like you said. Monterio was way more understanding of it than I thought he would be, and you guys even got together! Which, again, Eeee! How freaking cute! I knew you guys are soul mates!" she squeals in return, and I smile imagining her bouncing with joy.

"Stooooop, you're gonna make me blush with all that soul mate stuff! But I guess that means I also have to thank you. He told me that realizing that he could have lost me made him understand that he wanted me to be his girlfriend. It was seriously the cutest thing I've ever seen in my entire existence! He was all flustered and everything!"

"So? Did you kiss him?!"

"Of course I kissed him. I practically ate face!" I can't help but laugh at her mildly crude description of making out. Yep, this girl is mine. "It was fucking fireworks, you have no idea! I love the way he plays with my hair when we kiss!"

"Daaaaaaaaang, girl! That's stunning. I swear, I don't swing that way, but that man is a hell of a catch! He's kind and gentle--"

"And protective and intelligent. And funny. And the best listener," my life partner interjects insistently.

"And you guys are like peanut butter and jelly, or like, mint and chocolate. Ooh! Or fries and honey!" I can practically see Kana's what-the-fuck face burned into my memory, and I laugh mischeivously. "What? It's actually really yummy! I'm gonna me you try it so you know what I mean!"