Ch.6 Deadly Life Part 4: Of Acronyms, Cryptonyms, and Pseudonyms

Gou, January 9th, 9:56 am

This is big, and every passing minute, I start to feel more and more scared. This is like the first real major step toward unlocking the truth behind this whole thing. My gut is telling me that everyone figuring out what's going on behind the curtain won't make everything better. It's gonna be a fight for our lives.

"Do you seriously think you figured out what WDR stands for?!" Ren asks, totally thrown for a loop.

"Ren," Azumi says intensely, "Cast one look my way and you will know the answer to that inquiry." Her brown eyes are wide, her skin is flushed, her grip on Hachi's journal is trembling. Ren's expression hardens; he knows how serious she is right now.

"Well, like, what are we even waiting for, then?!" Fujiko squeals. Her Mary-Janes clatter along the hallway as she runs toward the dining hall, and the rest of us book it to follow her. The four of them zip into their seats, with Zu and I standing. She practically slams the book down onto the table and swallows. I try to stand up straight, to give off some impression of confidence. If it'll even slightly inspire the others, it's my duty to keep my chin up. Morale is everything. Hope is everything.

"Yuu, do you recall me mentioning anything off about this journal?" Azumi starts.

He furrows his brow. "Well, yeah. That was the whole reason we kept it. Wasn't it like... she kept repeating something in the margins? I have to admit, I haven't exactly read through it."

I nod, aware that my face is uncharacteristically serious. "You're right, though. A good chunk of the pages– the last twenty-seven, specifically– had this phrase over and over. We found it sixty-two times, to be exact. Do any of you know anything about something called, 'The White Daisy Room?'"

The words hang heavily in the air. "I want to say that it sounds like a song, but when I think about it, I can't remember anything with that title, instrumental or otherwise," Ren offers. Nobody says anything else after that. It's an unsettling feeling. "Well, one thing's for sure: if that's really what WDR stands for, there has to be clues as to what that means. And we'll find them," he encourages.

"Hey, wait! Maybe it's the craft room! Remember that giant vase? The daisy-patterned one?" Chimon mentions, eyes lighting up.

"Normally, I would be inclined to agree with you. However, paradoxically, most of the pages in which Hachi addresses our mystery location predate our imprisonment," Azumi squints.

"I– um– come again?" Fujiko pipes up.

"She talked about the White Daisy Room even before we came here for the first time," Yuu explains. "Can we see?" Zu slides the book toward him. "Ah, yeah. It started up on June 23rd. We got captured sometime around July 20th, since that's when summer vacation starts."

"Read that page! Maybe it has something important!" Fujiko emphasizes., but he's already reading a more recent page.

He scans through it quickly. "Oh, Hachi. She wrote about our smells because apparently it's easier to remember us that way than our most obvious physical features. But that's beside the point."

"What did I smell like, according to Hachi?" Chimon asks, legs kicking enthusiastically.

"Uhhh... her grandmother's attic. She said you smelled a bit musty."

He shrugs. "Makes sense. That dull blue hoodie was freaking ancient."

"And me?" I ask.

"Oil and metal. She joked that maybe you're secretly a robot."

"OMG! I wanna know, too! Hachi was such a total cutie pie!"

"Fujiko, she said you smell like lavender. She also commented on Keiji's crazy cologne usage."