Ch.6 Deadly Life Part 9: Of Hatred

Azumi

I am concerned. We have already seen that Gou and Hachi were involved in this horrid production from the beginning, and furthermore, Wakumi was drawn into the role of traitor partially through. Now we must wonder about Joanie's status? That is a quarter of us! Were a quarter of us sincerely instrumental in causing this tragedy? "I cannot fathom the possibility that Joanie was a part of this. Her death was due to our in-fighting. She threw herself away purely to prevent our hostility from causing another murder!" I insist. "This email... surely Team Danganronpa has other scriptwriters."

"Oh? Well, this isn't really a 'Team Danganronpa' project. I mean, kind of. I was a low-level writer when the series collapsed, so I guess you could say my presence makes it a Team Danganronpa thing. And I piggybacked off a lot of their tech." He relaxedly lounges across his seat, as though he is a gossipy guest at a slumber party. "But this is much more about White Daisy Room!"

I notice Yuu play with the hair stick I gifted to him, which strangely motivates me. "On top of the Joanie weirdness, I've kinda been wondering. Why would Hachi give us any of the information she did? She didn't need to tell us about Sora, especially not the only person who actually would've remembered that about her. She also never needed to hint toward the secret passage or flat-out give us the name of White Daisy Room. Honestly, if we'd figured any of it out much earlier, it could've seriously mucked up whatever they were planning. Neither of their actions are particularly consistent with someone in on all of it, but we know at least Hachi was."

"Ah! Actually, that's kind of simple! It's because they didn't have—" In his overeagerness to assist us, Gou presumably says too much, for his sentence gets caught in his throat.

It is strange, perhaps a little offputting, the way that Hibiki's spirit and demeanor are so bright. He comes across as something of an everyman, or like an exasperated older brother. "I love that spirit, bucko, you know I do, but you're gonna ruin the surprises with a mouth like that," he says.

"Okay, guys! We know that the reason Hachi and Joanie behaved strangely is because of something they didn't have! Let's brainstorm!" Chimon urges. Ever since Hibiki emerged, he has been aggressively latching onto any lead that we receive. Chimon's manner has become akin to a fierce athlete in the midst of a rally.

"Uh... well, maybe it's resources? Seems like Hibiki has a lot of tech, but most of it wasn't used until after they'd both died," Ren speculates.

"But if they had access to the inside scoop, as it were, they would be aware of when that would become available, right?" I bring up.

Fujiko chokes out her statement. "This is kinda out there, but, like, what if what they didn't have was a purpose? Like, what if they were dropped in here and didn't have a mission? Wakumi got told to kill Tozen, but maybe Hibiki just sorta let 'em loose in here."

"I am not entirely convinced by that. For all we know, their missions may have been self-sacrificial; Joanie could have been told to cause another murder to keep the game going, like with Wakumi," I mention. I am certainly not reveling in the possibility.

"Missions," Ren mumbles. "We kind of all had missions, if you think about it. Our first trials. Joanie was part of the group meant to enlist our Monoinu unit. He was supposedly designed to be our friend, but he wasn't aware of it. Could she have been there to make sure Chimon and Bisque didn't find some other way out? Like, miss something important?"

Yuu puts a finger to his chin. "Speaking of him... I've seriously been wondering about a few things. First of all, why was a Monoinu unit specifically programmed to be our ally?"

Hibiki gasps and places a hand to his chest, falsifying scandalization. "I have over a hundred Monoinu! Do you really think I wouldn't spare even one adorable puppy for my cousin's buddies?"