Love Story

"Yes, I'll be there in a few," I said to my colleague at the other end of the call. It was a good thing that he called when I had already parked my car so I wouldn't have to worry about getting myself into an accident. 

I rubbed my temple in an attempt to alleviate the stress I was feeling and said once again, "Yes, I'll just pick up my niece's report card at her school then I will be with you. Alright?"

When I heard my colleague agree, I hung up immediately. I sighed in relief and unbuckled my seatbelt. Before getting out of my car, I sent a message to my 15-year-old niece who was in 7th grade and the reason why I was in this school at the first place. Her parents, my brother and his wife, could not make it because of their jobs so they told me to attend this for them. Luckily, I was not that busy so I agreed.

Cassie was enrolled to the school my brother's wife previously taught in. This was also the school I was in back in 11th and 12th grade. It was a bit nostalgic to be here again not as a student but as a guardian to a present pupil here. I was now a successful person that was molded by this school. I owe this place as much as I hated to admit.

I got out of the car and slammed the door shut. I placed my keys inside of my pockets and wandered towards the entrance of the school. The old school guard saw me and grinned me as he remembered who I was.

"Great to see you again, Miko!" he greeted and shook my hand. "My, look at what happened to you. You are quite successful now and mature, too!"

"That's what life does, apparently," I answered with a warm smile on my face. "Do you know where's the 7th grade room is located?"

"Of course I do, I'm the guard here, yeah?" he chuckled and pointed to his left. "Walk straight and go up the staircase. The first door you'll see is the one."

"Thank you!" I said and was about to leave when he asked me something.

"Say, do you have a child studying here?"

I looked back at him and shook my head, "No, I'm single. I'm here for my niece."

The school guard nodded and smiled at me. There's something in his smile that I couldn't quite pinpoint what. Like he knew something. Like something was going to happen.

I shook the uneasiness out of the way and walked towards the direction he pointed. There were many students lounging around the old lunch tables. The girls wore the same white blouses and brown checkered skirts and the boys wore the same plain white polo and brown pants. The seniors wore a long sleeved cream white polo and a maroon vest. The girls wore the very same checkered short skirt and the boy with their black slacks. As I passed by them, a surge of nostalgia came flooding towards me.

And I suddenly could see a familiar little girl that I admired once around here.

"Uncle!" I heard Cassie's voice coming from the mini garden. She waved her hand and motioned for me to come towards her. I smiled and walked to her direction. I once again felt the nostalgia as I passed by the plants and flowers I used to see during my days here. During our days here.

Cassie hugged me and told me to sit down at one of the lunch tables there. Her blue bag was on the table along with some school books that I assumed did not fit inside of her bag. I sat at the opposite side of her.

"You're really early, uncle," Cassie remarked. "The distribution will start in 30 minutes."

"I know," I replied. "I just came early to look around. Did your mom and dad tell you I once went to school here?"

Cassie nodded, "Yes, they did. They said you were a president here once. You were also a smart student."

I chuckled, "They said that to you? Wow."

"Not only that," she added. "They also told me you met the girl of your dreams here."

I paused, not knowing what to say next. I could remember vividly now the girl who wore her hair into a ponytail as she read her lessons here with her friends. I could suddenly see our younger version of us eating our lunches together at one of these tables as her friends teased us. That sparkling eyes that held wonder. Her beautiful smile that could melt anyone's heart once she showed it. Her joyful presence that could brighten anyone's day effortlessly.

Her. The one I loved and continued to love after all these years. After all this time.

It was only her.

I smiled bitterly at my niece who was anticipating my reaction, "Yes, I met her here."

"Can you tell me about her?" she asked with curious eyes gazing at me.

I was about to answer her when I froze upon hearing a certain melody coming from somewhere. I glanced at the school's gym beside us and saw pairs of students there. They were formed in one line. Teachers were watching from the stage as the students curtsied. I assumed it's for the preparation for the prom.

But that's not why my world suddenly stopped.

"It's prom here next Friday," Cassie revealed when she noticed my sudden interest to the events inside of the school gym. "It was my adviser who chose the song."

"Why?" I blurted. "Why was she the one who chose the song?"

"Because she said her colleagues trusted her with song choices," she giggled. "She told us about it yesterday. Plus,"

She paused and grinned at me, "She loves Taylor Swift."

The pre-chorus of Love Story started as I watched the pairs lock their eyes with each other and danced. I glanced above the gym's stage and I could almost see her watching from there and singing along to the tune. She was the first person I thought of. 

How bittersweet. She loved Taylor Swift, too.

I felt my phone vibrate from my pocket. It must be one of my colleagues. And I promised to meet them immediately. This could not wait for 30 minutes more.

"Cassie," I called her and she looked at me. "Can I meet your teacher now and get the card? I still have to go take you home and go back to work."

My niece nodded and grabbed my hand. She dragged me upstairs to where the old guard told me to go. She peered at the door of the first room and looked at me.

"My teacher's not here," she stated. "But I bet she's on the faculty room so follow me."

Cassie went ahead and I followed her. At the end of the corridor was another flight of stairs. We once again went up to the third floor where most of the faculty members were. My niece turned left and stopped, a grin showing at her face. She must've seen her teacher. I saw her ran towards that direction. I followed cautiously.

And the world suddenly stopped.

As Taylor Swift sang the bridge of Love Story, our gazes met and there was something inside of me that ignited once again. An extinguished flame that we both thought would never be in flames again. She's there looking back at me, a much older version of herself but in a teacher's uniform. Her hair was down and was only held back by a blue headband with a butterfly attached to it. The same glint in her eyes. The same warm smile. The sunny presence she radiated.

Suddenly, the past did not matter. The past mistakes were forgiven. The painful memories and events that happened way back were irrelevant.

What mattered was now.

She's here and I was home.

"We were both young when I first saw you."