23: Paleblood's Wrath

You still remembered how to cast these spells easily. It was not a difficult incantation.

As *blank*, source of thy power, I order thee... decipher the laws of nature and *blank*

You still had to decide how you would fill in the blanks, but that was something you could easily figure out on the spot.

  The mage held your Loch Shield high as Itsuki and Ren made the first attack.

  "Thunderbolt slash!"

  "Thunder shot!" The two moves went in unison, being blocked as easily as attacks against Naofumi. Next. Filo and Raphtalia went, with Filo forced to use her High Quick magic in order to dodge sprouting flames from a further attack by the Pope. Raphtalia was able to get a solid blow on the Ultimate Weapon, clearly getting to the Pope with the resulting clash.

  A healing light appeared around the Pope as he stood straight, no longer winded from the unexpected change in tactics on your end.

  "Filo, go again!" Naofumi ordered.

  "Motoyasu, you're with me this time!" He shouted.

  "Wha? Me-" Motoyasu didn't have time to react as Filo snatched him.

  "Motoyasu!" Malty cried out, not noticing a sidelong blaze headed her way.

  "Zweite Aqua Shot!" The spell from Melty rushed past her older sister, cancelling the shot as Motoyasu was thrown skyward by Filo, coming down spear first on Naofumi's shield.

  Before you could question why, a burst of cursed flames erupted from Naofumi's Curse Shield, headed for the Pope. Before it could reach, it was simply... extinguished.

  "No curses will work in the Cathedral. After all, this is Hallowed Ground, blessed by God himself." The Pope stated, to Naofumi's annoyance.

  "Bishop, if you can hear me, I require more prayers so that I may show the true might of God." The Pope called out. You didn't hear the muffled response, likely something about a Mana deficiency.

  "Is that a problem? This is a battle between God and the Devil. To perish as martyrs here is the greatest honor a follower of the church can pursue." The Pope answered his unheard bishop. After that, the iridescent lights in the cathedral began to grow brighter, crawling up the walls and towards the center of the ceiling.

"This feels wrong..." Filo stated.

"He's building up Mana... if that light reaches all the way to the top..." Melty paused, almost afraid to finish her sentence.

"A huge attack will follow, right?" Itsuki finished.

"Hey, can't your shield do something about it?" Motoyasu asked Naofumi.

"Huh?" Naofumi looked at Motoyasu, confused as the Spear Hero continued.

"I mean, your shield seems overpowered." He pointed out.

"Listen here-"

"He has a point." Itsuki pointed out.

"You're underleveled compared to us, and yet you're keeping up with us. Isn't that because of your shield?" He asked.

"Don't you have some special skill you can use?" Ren asked.

"As if I'd-" Naofumi's retort was interrupted by a gasp of pain. He fell to a knee, grasping at his heart as a look of realization crossed his eyes. He got himself back up, looking at his shield.

"Actually... it will be a gamble, but it may work." He murmured.

"You don't mean to use that power again?" You asked. Naofumi looked to your kneeling form, taking note of the silvery mist that was forming all around you.