6: Bloody Preparation

"Get back here!" Raphtalia shouted, swinging at a running porcupine. You sat aside,
Watching her run to and fro, as Naofumi pulled a massive spike out of his arm, absorbing it into the shield.

  Naofumi and Raphtalia have grown tons since the mines from last week. Raphtalia physically, and Naofumi skill wise. But, the latter still let his guard down, and got himself hurt for it.

  "Y/n~Sama!" Raphtalia shouted. You looked at her, chasing the porcupine until it was running in your direction. You held a hand out towards it, shouting a spell you had recently learned.

  "Arcane Bind!" Several spheres of blue light flew from your hand, towards the monster. Surprisingly, it remained unaffected by the scourge, same with a large number of small to medium sized wild creatures. That still left anomalies, such as the Infected Rabbit Raphtalia killed.

  The light struck the porcupine, extending into a ring that held it in place while Raphtalia stabbed it.

  "I did it!" She shouted, as the binds released, letting the monster fall. She got to work bagging it for later as Naofumi walked over, ignoring his wounded arm, getting a look at Raphtalia.

Her level had grown to 18, and as such, her body grew as well. Now she highly resembled a young adult, about as old as you were when you first became a hunter. You smiled, patting her head as she smiled back.

"Yes you did. Now, we gotta go get mr Shield Hero some better equipment, so he doesn't get done in by a porcupine." You told her, whispering loudly, so that Naofumi could hear you. Raphtalia lightly giggled as Naofumi rolled his eyes.

"Fine. We're getting an upgrade." He agreed.

"Wow, I hardly recognized you! You've grown into quite the pretty lady!" Boss, the blacksmith, told Raphtalia as you all approached him. You looked at her yourself, a hand to your chin as you studied her features.

"Well, haven't seen you two in a while either. How's she been?" He asked. Raphtalia, being her own independent self, answered for you.

"The innkeeper's been teaching me table manners, and Y/n~Sama's been teaching me in combat!" She exclaimed.

"Oh, and how'd you do that? Not just throwing her in combat, are you?" He asked. You gave him a tight lipped grin, flashing back to the day after the mine.

Raphtalia, still very young, was trying to stalk you through the woods. She did her best to step quietly, creeping up on you, who was looking the other way for her.

Gripping her wooden sword, she made her move. Planting one foot in the ground, Raphtalia launched herself at you, sword extended.

You seemed to phase of of existence for a moment, mist taking your place, as Raphtalia phased through you. Yelling out in surprise, she ran into a tree as she felt a light tap on her back.

"That was a nice attempt Raphtalia. But you made noise in that last jump. Remember what I taught you?" You asked. Raphtalia groaned, nodding.

"We don't need defense. A good dodge is more than enough." She muttered.

"Exactly! If you learned to fight me head on, you'd be doing much better!" You told her.

"It's no fair though! You're using that Quicking stuff!" She complained.

"It's called Quickening. And when the time is right, I'll give you your own methods of using it." You promised. Raphtalia got up, picking her sword up again as she lifted it towards you.