13: The Deranged Town

Before you start reading, I need to state something important, regarding this chapter. Normally, it would be a Hot Springs chapter for a bit of fan service, and the rivalry between Filo and Raphtalia over Naofumi's happiness. This really shouldn't happen in this story, so instead of the filler chapter, I will place my own chapter here, which is not based on any episode of Shield Hero. If you still wish for a Hot Springs Chapter, I'll release it as a Chapter 12.5

You sat, Filo's reigns in hand, watching the big bird draw the carriage, with Naofumi in the back, and Raphtalia standing behind you.

"What do you think the problem is, Y/n?" Raphtalia asked. You shrugged, speaking.

"Some town has gone batshit crazy, forming some kind of cult over something. They perform rituals to try and convert people, but most of the time, they simply die. We are going to figure out the issue, and see if we can fix it." You told her. Raphtalia sat down, hands in her lap.

"Well, do you know an easy way to fix their madness?" She asked. You handed the reigns to Raphtalia, who grabbed them, before reaching into a pocket. Out of your pocket came a bottle of a pungent red substance.

"A good sedative can drug your mind, meaning if we somehow manage to sedate the entire town, we can shut down whatever's making them go mad, and simply pray. But..." you put away the vial. There were two main problems with that plan.

"Is it too late after they've gone mad?" Raphtalia asked. You nodded grimly.

"You remember the Winter Lantern, the blood it forced out of Naofumi's head?" You asked her. Raphtalia nodded, her ears flattening.

"The instance of that happening, blood getting forced from your head before it simply explodes, is called Frenzy. My sedatives can counteract it, but that's all it can do." You told her. Raphtalia swallowed, nervously.

  "Will I need to use some of these sedatives, just in case?" She asked. You shook your head, pocketing the bottle.

  "Let's pray not." You told her. Raphtalia nodded, holding the reigns tight in her hands as Filo began to slow down.

  "Master, look at this." Filo spoke up. Naofumi stepped out from behind you, looking ahead.

  Ahead of you, a wall was crudely built from logs of fallen trees, blocking the road ahead of you. You stepped off the carriage, slowly approaching the wall. You could just walk around it, but that could pose a threat of ambush.

    "Ah, who could it be? Could some people wish to see the truth?" You heard a faint whisper from behind the wall. Immediately, you stepped back, drawing your rakuyo. From the top of the wall, a head poked itself out.

  "Travelers, are you? Come, come." The head poked down, and a door in the wall opened, revealing the figure behind it. They were definitely female, and bore skinny, almost starved limbs. Knobs of wispy silver hair cling to her scalp, which was almost red with scabs and infected cuts. She had not had it well in the past.

  "Come on inside. We'll be happy to have you in our fair town." She spoke in a hoarse voice, the type you'd expect from a witch. You looked back at Naofumi, who was giving her a glare that went unnoticed. Reluctantly, he waved you and Raphtalia towards her.

"I'll get the wagon parked, and catch up with Filo." He told you. You nodded, turning towards the witch.

"Fine." You spoke. Wordlessly, the witch beckoned you and Raphtalia through the doorway, which simply led to the other side of the road. From here, you could clearly see the town in question in the distance.