26: Heroes of Fan and Scythe

"Hmph." The rocking of the wooden ship beneath your feet didn't bother you as you stared out at the endless seas around you.

As for why you were on a boat, at sea...

While in Cal Mira, Naofumi, alongside Raphtalia and Filo, had gone diving to a building that Filo had found underwater. After using a spell to open the locks closing it, Naofumi had found a Dragon Hourglass, the same kind as the one in the church in Melromarc. When taking the wave countdown from it, the timer showed a distressing number: two days until the next wave.

Hastily, Naofumi had used his teleport skill he learned from Itsuki to come back to the capital and warn the Queen, who got you and the largest army she could immediately muster, and prepared for a potential wave at sea.

  After the second wave, this seemed somewhat sudden, but it wasn't a fight you were about to complain if, especially if Glass returned. You wanted to see if she had grown any stronger.

  You breathed in the salty air, your legs and knees almost moving on their own to stabilize you against the boats rocking.

  "Are you prepared, Y/n?" Raphtalia asked you.

  "I have been prepared as long as I've been alive." You told her.

  "I see..." She had learned of the truth behind you, quite presumably from Naofumi.

"Oh! Hey Naofumi! Look!" Raphtalia ran to the side of the ship, looking out at another nearby ship.

  "It's L'Arc and Therese!" She pointed out.

  "Hmm?" You stepped over, looking at the only ship Raphtalia could mean. On it, two people of equal height stood. One was a red haired man, wearing adventurers cloths and holding a scythe on his back, while the other was a light blue haired woman, with her hair flowing down her body. She had no weapon, and her clothes seemed to imply that she was a caster of sorts.

  "You know these two?" From nearby the deck where Mirellia stood, ready to fight, Melty walked over, looking at the two in question.

  "Yeah. We worked together at Cal Mira." Naofumi stated.

  "I'm glad they're on our side." Raphtalia remarked, her hair getting blown around by the wind.

  "They're way more reliable than Motoyasu and the other guys." Naofumi built off of Raphtalia's statement with his own remark.

  "It's not often you trust others so blindly. No matter..." a loud chiming of church bells rang out of the air, and everything around you began to glow in a golden light.

  "We'll engage the enemy as soon as we teleport!" Mirellia ordered.

  "Everyone, prepare for battle!"

  When the glow faded once again, you were at open seas, the churning skies already a bright red, with massive glowing blue and yellow fractures spanning the sky, horizon to horizon. From them, fish-like humanoids fell like rain, splashing into the water.

  In response, the knights on either side of you began to roll out massive casks, which bobbed and weaved as they splashed into the water. When they drifted a good distance away, they seemed to dip into the water, before a loud BANG shook the air, and geysers sprouted. From near them, dazed fish beasts began to float up.

As soon as they arrived, an onslaught of arrows fell upon them, snapping them from their dazed state, and back to attention in time to swim back under.

  You let the other fighters and knights focus on the smaller beasts as you looked ahead, past any other ships. Any moment, and the big bad would most likely reveal themself...