The Space Between Us

*****
Three- The Space Between Us

Pan yawned as she stumbled down the stairs. She had stayed up too late the night before watching dramas, but at least it was a school break. When she returned to school, she would be a Third Year in Junior High. One more year to go, and then she would be a High Schooler!

"Oh, Gohan! This is wonderful!" Chi-Chi was gushing.

Pan walked into the kitchen and knitted her eyebrows together. Her mother was holding a paper as she grinned. Gohan was beaming as he stood in front of her. Pan glanced around, but she didn't see her Papa or Goten anywhere.

"What's going on?" Pan asked as she rubbed her eyes.

"Oh, Panny! Gohan got a contract offer to teach at North City University for four years!" Chi-Chi cried.

"Wow, Han," Pan's eyes widened. North City was behind West City on size, and their schools were grade-A. Gohan has been trying to get a contract job there ever since he had graduated. He had wanted to work there for only a few years for experience.

"And that's not the only part," Gohan turned to look at Pan. "I wasn't the only one who got offered a contract."

"Don't tell me they want Goten as a student for the university," Pan let out a loud snort. "They'll be disappointed."

"No, not Goten- you!" Chi-Chi grinned. "They want you to enroll in North City Academy. It's connected to the University. It's a scholarship for four years! You'll finish Junior High and go to High School there."

"What?!" Pan yelled in complete surprise. Did she get offered a scholarship? Why? How? She wasn't even that good at school- Trunks and Gohan helped her out a ton. Pan felt her jaw going slack, "why did they offer it to me?" She asked quietly.

"I'm sure they saw your potential!" Chi-Chi nodded with a grin.

"On my application, I did mention that I tutored you a lot," Gohan said as he rubbed the back of his head. "Maybe they're eager to see what you'll do too. Look at this-" he handed Pan a pamphlet.

She took it, and her eyes widened. It was a very fancy suite that over-looked North City. She had never quite seen a hotel that fancy as she flipped through the pamphlet. It was located not far from the Academy and University. There was a mall on it's three lower levels, and above that, restaurants the next four levels. The following 73 levels were all suites. The 80 story building looked breath-taking, and it even had a little garden located on its fiftieth floor, which was a common area.

"If we accept, that's where we'll be living for the next four years," Gohan said. "We won't have to pay for rent- it's covered in the contract and scholarship. The only thing we'll have to pay for is food and our wants."

"Wow," Pan whispered. It seemed like it was all too good to be true. She had to admit that she was tempted and very interested. Who else could say that they would live in an 80 story suite and attend a fancy academy? Pan felt pretty special, but it was a lot to take in. "Would it just be you and me?" She asked Gohan.

"Yeah," he nodded.

"But, I'll force your Papa away from training every weekend, and we'll visit!" Chi-Chi grinned. "And I can always use him to pop over if you need me for anything."

Pan smiled. It would be different not seeing her Mama, Papa, and Goten every day, but she also wouldn't see Trunks as much, would she? Maybe he could come over every weekend, too! Still, she felt like she needed to talk to him about it. What would he think? Would he even want her to go?

"Can I think about it?" Pan asked.

"Of course," Gohan nodded, but he had a worried look on his face. "I have to let them know by tomorrow. I know it's sudden, but they need to know as soon as possible so they can prepare our suite."