Chapter 16

Shelby woke up laying on a couch she didn't know. She tried to get her eyes to adjust but it took a minute. Once she was finally able to adjust she looked around the room. She immediately recognized it. She was in Mikes house. The guy she use to buy from.

Shelby felt around for her phone. Once she found it she realized it was dead. "Fuck."

Mike then came walking into the living room. "Morning."

"What time is it?" Shelby sounded very sleepy.

"11 am." Shelby's eyes grew wide.

"Shit! Fuck!" Shelby jumped up and started gathering her belongings. "I'm so fucking late. Bye Mike." Shelby ran out the door. She jumped in her car and sped off towards the firehouse.

She pulled into a spot and jumped out heading up the driveway. She spotted squad sitting at their table. She hurried passed Kelly as quickly as possible not wanting to talk to him. She headed straight for the locker room.

Shelby popped open her locker and began getting undressed.

Casey came into the locker room. "Your late."

Shelby jumped. "I know. I'm sorry." Shelby quickly got dressed.

"Chief wants to see you."

"Okay." Casey left the locker room and Shelby just hit her head against her locker. She headed straight to the chiefs office. She gave a knock on the door and he motioned for her to come in.

"Close the door." Shelby closed the door and took a seat in front of the chiefs desk. "You want to explain why you are late?"

"I over slept. My phone died so my alarm didn't go off."

"You are 2 hours late."

"I'm sorry Chief."

Chief held up his hands. "I already got a relief on 61 today.  Go home."

"Chief..."

Chief boden cut her off. "Go home."

Shelby headed out of Chief Boden's office and back to the locker room to change once again. Sylvie came into the locker room. "Hey. You okay?"

"I'm fine Brett. I just overslept."

"Well your here now."

"Chief is sending me home. He already called someone in for my shift." Shelby got dressed and closed her locker.

"Oh I guess I'll see you in a couple days."

Shelby threw her bag over her shoulder. "Yeah I guess." Shelby headed back out of the locker room.

She made her way out to the apparatus floor. Shelby was trying to avoid eye contact with Kelly but of course she looked at the wrong moment and locked eyes with him. She quickened her pace and headed for her car.

Kelly got up from his seat and ran after her. "Shelby!"

Shelby stopped and turned around to face Kelly."What do you want Severide?" She never used his last name. Kelly was taken aback by this.

"Where you going?"

"Chief sent me home since he already found a replacement for me today."

"Oh okay." Kelly had his hands in his pockets. "How are you..."

Shelby cut Kelly off. "Save it Severide. You don't have to look out for me or pretend you care."

Kelly opened his mouth to say something but Shelby had turned around and headed towards her car. She jumped in and sped off.