Chapter Fourteen

A hand reaches out to me and I back into a wall, cornered. My heart thumping away in my chest but I don't know for how much longer.

An opening appears and I take my chances. Running through empty streets, there is no one around. No more titans. No sound.

The street falls away and I'm standing outside Wall Rose. The squad, my friends surround me. Jean walks over to me just as a titan picks him up. No one moves to save him. My feet are rooted to the ground.

"Jean! Someone help him." I cry, struggling in my spot.

No one moves. I thrash around, tears streaming down my face. The titan places Jean in his mouth. Blood blurs my vision.

My body shoots up in bed, sweat beading on my forehead. My heart is almost thumping out of my chest. A pair of arms wrap around me. I jump at the touch, getting tangled in the blankets, and fall to the ground.

"(y/n) calm down, it's just me," Jean says as he picks me up off the ground.

I latch onto him burying my face into his chest. "I thought I'd lost you. I had a nightmare you were eaten by titans." My hands trembling as I clutch onto his torso.

He places his hand on the back of my head bringing me even closer. "It's okay, it was only a nightmare. I'm still here." He whispers.

I wiggle my head from its spot on his chest and look up into his eyes. "I don't know what I'd do if I lost you."

His hand slides forward to my cheek. "You won't." He brings his lips down on mine.

His kiss is full of passion, I grip onto his shirt pulling him in even closer. I feel his fingers dig into my waist which brings a small moan out of me.

The door slams open and we pull apart but don't let go of each other. Levi shoots a glare at Jean briefly before looking at me.

"We need to get going. Apparently, Wall Rose has been breached." He states.

My stomach drops and my mind goes back to that nightmare. "No. it can't have."

"We don't have the option to wait and see. Get your gear and meet me outside in five minutes. Kirstein go grab a horse and follow the rest of the scouts." Levi commands before moving back into the hallway.

I grab Jean's face so he is looking into my eyes. "Be careful please."

He smashes his lips into mine for a moment before releasing. "I will so we can pick this up afterwards." He moves away from me. "I love you."

Before I can respond he is already out the door. I snap out of my daze and grab everything I need, rushing to meet Levi.

Mikasa, Armin, and Eren sit on one side of a cart while Levi and Hanji sit with some guy on the other side. Levi moves over allowing me to sit across from Eren.

"Who's this guy?" I ask leaning forward trying to get a good look at him.

He doesn't move or say anything, his eyes focused straight ahead. Who knows what Hanji has already done to him.

"This is my friend Pastor Nick," Hanji announces, slinging her arm around the man's neck.

Fear crosses through his eyes meaning she has already threatened him at least once. We've all been there before. I smirk to myself before skimming out over the scouts for Jean. No sign of him.

The cart moves towards Wall Rose as the others discuss a fragment that Hanji had discovered after Annie had crystallized. I keep my focus ahead, only barely listening to their conversation. I know it's something important, something I should be listening to but my mind is elsewhere. So much for being a great soldier.