Chapter Seven

Eren is sent off to clean the kitchen by himself while Jean and I are placed in the basement where all the gear and laundry is kept.

Jean sits me down on the bottom step as he gets all the cleaning gear ready. I stretch my arms out trying to prepare myself for the hours of cleaning ahead of me.

"This really sucks," I say, kicking my foot out and knocking over an empty glass bottle.

Jean raises an eyebrow at me. "The cleaning part or being stuck here with me."

I smile. "Definitely being stuck down here alone with you."

He throws me a broom which I catch. "Sorry for getting you dragged into this."

I shrug. "It was my fault as well. If I had stayed out of it, I wouldn't be doing this." I say getting to my feet.

"But I mean, if Eren hadn't opened his stupid mouth we wouldn't be here."

I start sweeping. "Also if you hadn't dragged him over the table to fight you, we wouldn't be here."

He hip bumps me a little as he walks past. "Don't make me fight you."

"Normally I would insist but I can barely use this broom at the moment so I don't think I could fight you off."

"You can barely fight me off when you are able-bodied." He laughs as he drags out the dirty laundry bags.

I drop the broom and place my hands on my hips. "I'm not helping you until you apologise for that comment."

He chuckles and carries on working. "Suit yourself but I'll let Captain Levi know that you didn't do a thing."

I gasp. "You wouldn't?"

"Oh, I would and you know he would give you more cleaning duties. On top of what you already owe me."

"You play a hard game, Kirstein."

He picks my broom back up and hands it to me. "The faster we get this done, the sooner you can go relax."

"I like the way you think but I'm still not forgiving you for that comment." I wink at him.

The smell of food lingers down to the basement and my body aches worse than it has ever done before. Jean sighs leaning his broom against the wall.

"Can we just call it a night?" I say putting my broom next to his.

"As much as I would love to say yes, it's probably best to wait for Captain Levi."

I pout. "He'll keep us down here all night if he wants."

Jean moves closer to me and I feel my heart rate pick up immediately. "I wouldn't mind being stuck down here all night with you."

"Oh, um, are you sure?" I get out.

He looks into my eyes. "I'm sure. Would you mind being stuck down here with me all night?"

My heart feels as though it is going to burst through my chest. "I-I-" I stutter.

Jean's face lightens up. "Never thought I'd make you speechless."

I smack his arm and go to move away from him, only to find that my ankle is tangled. I trip a little and grab onto the closest thing. Jean. He puts an arm around my waist making sure he has a hold of me.

"Now, you're falling for me."

"You need to stop. I'm tired, you're just messing with me now."

He takes my face in his hand and tilts it up towards his face. I feel as though I'm about to pass out. His face flushes pink.

"I'm not messing with you. I've just wanted to do this for a long time." He says before pressing his lips against mine.