Chapter Twenty Four

Standing on top of Wall Rose alongside Erwin, Hanji, and Levi we look down on the people below us. For the first time since joining the Survey Corps, people are cheering for us. Cheering for us to take back the Wall Maria and get their freedom back.

Levi looks at me. "Are you ready?"

I nod. "As ready as I'll ever be."

"I want you to stay on guard. If those two are there, they might attempt to capture you again." His eyes are filled with concern and this whole plan is scaring him. He has already lost so much.

"No way, that's happening again. I'll take them down." I reassure him.

A loud cheer comes from a little down the way from us, Sasha, Connie, and Jean are calling down to the people with smiles on their faces. Jean catches me watching and gives me a quick wink. Erwin chuckles from beside me.

"Young love." He comments.

"Disgusting," Levi adds.

"Stop being such an old man, one day he will take me off your hands. You realise this, don't you?"

Levi narrows his eyes out over the city. "Keep talking."

I've never felt so edge before and it has nothing to do with me standing on the top of Wall Maria. Eren has just sealed up the first hole with no problem. There are no titans, no sign of Reiner or Bertholdt and that's what is making me so nervous right now. It is all too unpredictable.

I stand next to Erwin looking over Shiganshina. The devastation that was caused all those years ago, the frightening nights I had to spend alone, hidden fearing for my life. A shiver runs up my spine capturing Erwin's attention.

"How are you feeling?" He asks.

"Not great to be honest. Everything just seems a little too quiet. A little too easy." I answer, my eyes not leaving the town below.

He nods. "I agree but we cannot let this stop us. If we at least seal the walls, we can move onto the next stage of this mission."

Armin comes running down the wall towards us. His face is stern as he stops in front of us.

"There are three of them."

"What?" I say.

"There were three people here. I went and investigated below the burn mark on the wall and I found another cup."

"So, we need to be on the lookout for another person, that none of us knows what they look like or if they are a titan shifter."

"Calm down, (y/n)," Erwin says. "Armin, what do you suggest we do?"

Armin explains his theory to us, that Reiner, Bertholdt, and this mystery person could be hiding in the wall. We already know what was discovered on the inside of the walls so what's stopping them from hiding in them. It's a big risk to take with little evidence, it could delay our plans to search Eren's basement and my old home. But Armin is not stupid and it's best to be safe than sorry. We can't risk losing anyone else at this stage.

"Search the walls," Erwin commands.

Scouts spread out over the wall, dropping off the side. I go to help but Erwin is quick to stop me.

"I need you to stay put, we have more than enough scouts checking the wall. If anything happens, you need to be able to jump straight into action."

"Understood," I say, my heart is thumping away in my chest.

My palms are sweaty as I listen to the tapping of blades on the wall. My breathing almost stops as I keep an ear out for anything.